This Old Man is dusting off the cleats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

I see a push...although some will probably call it pulling with the front side, or something like that. What is missing - to me - is the pulling rearward with the muscles of the back that I see happening with elite hitters.

Props for putting your own work on display, and I sincerely hope you reach the level of success you want in your journey.

May 12, 2016
Somewhat related to Eric's comments. I am right hand dominant, right side dominant... but I bat left. Because of this I have always pulled with the front side, my dominant hand is the bottom hand, so it also pulls the bat aggressively. When playing hockey and taking a slap shot I get a ton of leverage by pulling from the front side, same as golf

I guess the question I have is, are right hand dominant hitters who hit from the left side different from ones who hit from the right side in the way they power the swing.

Jun 8, 2016
Somewhat related to Eric's comments. I am right hand dominant, right side dominant... but I bat left. Because of this I have always pulled with the front side, my dominant hand is the bottom hand, so it also pulls the bat aggressively. When playing hockey and taking a slap shot I get a ton of leverage by pulling from the front side, same as golf

I guess the question I have is, are right hand dominant hitters who hit from the left side different from ones who hit from the right side in the way they power the swing.
Latta has some thoughts on this in one or two of his Day at the Ballyard series..cannot remember what exactly he said though (yeah not much help I know :LOL: )

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

I was lefty thrower/hitter and was definitely top hand dominate.. Seems the lefty thrower righty hitter are more bottom hand dominant.

Nov 4, 2015
Don't think I saw anyone suggest this, but when taking swings with my daughter, I always find it helpful to get everything in what i believe to be the right position by limiting my stride. The more movements I can eliminate, the better I can get the hands, head and body into a good hitting position. Then I can add more load and more leg kick as I desire.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

That's an interesting question, and a factor that I haven't seen discussed.

Apr 11, 2015

Hmmm, I wonder who might have the answer to that.... 🤔🙃

Ted Williams, Science of Hitting (1969) - The Power Hand—Which Is It?

I said at the beginning that you would be surprised to hear that Ted Williams thinks he might have been a better left-hand hitter if he had not been a natural right- hander. I could rephrase that to say I think I would have been a better hitter if I had also been a left-hand thrower. I was right-handed, and I don’t know why but from the time I was old enough to carry a bat to the sandlots of San Diego, I hit lefty.

Of the nine outstanding left-hand hitters in baseball history, Ty Cobb, Joe Jackson and I were the only three who were natural right-handers. Ruth, Gehrig, Sisler, Terry, Musial and Speaker were lefties all the way—throwing and batting left- handed. To my knowledge, there was never a great natural left-hander who batted right-handed.

What am I driving at? Just this: Ideally, for maximum power and efficiency, you want your stronger hand closer to the point of impact. If you’re a natural right- hander batting left-handed as I did, your strong hand—the right—is not closer to the impact.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
kHzkjTx.png

I4zg8DN.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877