This Old Man is dusting off the cleats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Girls are done playing ball and I found a hardball rec league to play in :). So I am gonna post some swings and document my journey to try to understand what we put our girls through, LOL. It's been a long time since I've played, 15 years + and I have a lot to work on. I am open to all hitting approaches and will try to implement into practical situations. I've don't think I've ever been the ole timer in a league, so this is a new experience for me, LOL. Pre season swing below, just tee work for now, I don't have a hitting cage in my backyard like @james27503 :).

gif (76).gifgif (77).gifezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Sorry crappy video quality

Apr 11, 2015
Nice @julray, way to keep working. 👍🏽

So do you like one of those swings better than the other (the third looks like just a slo-mo of the first if I'm seeing that correctly), and did you have the same thought process going on in both of them?

I like one more than the other, and I'll explain why after we find out if you like the same one or not, and why you like whichever one it is you choose over the other.

May 12, 2016
Nice @julray, way to keep working. 👍🏽

So do you like one of those swings better than the other (the third looks like just a slo-mo of the first if I'm seeing that correctly), and did you have the same thought process going on in both of them?

I like one more than the other, and I'll explain why after we find out if you like the same one or not, and why you like whichever one it is you choose over the other.
TBH I don’t like any of them, lol. I have tough time looking at my own swing and analyzing, not sure why. But I feel like I gave up on my posture on the 2nd swing. I prefer the first swing better. Yeah slo mo is of 1st swing

Apr 11, 2015
TBH I don’t like any of them, lol. I have tough time looking at my own swing and analyzing, not sure why. But I feel like I gave up on my posture on the 2nd swing. I prefer the first swing better. Yeah slo mo is of 1st swing
Ha! I hear ya about looking at your own swings...or really anything I'm doing for that matter. It's never what I "think" I was doing or feeling. 🤷‍♂️😁

But I actually liked the second swing better, because even though the tee was lower...you kept your hands higher throughout the swing, and I think your "launch position" looks stronger in the second than that of the first...
2G6nYU6.png
NFsPjuM.png

Looks like you're more "loaded", "sat", "into your rear leg", or whatever terminology works...to say you seem to be in a better "position of power" in the second than the first. JMO anyway...keep up the good work. 🙌🏽🙌🏽🤜🏽🤛🏽

May 12, 2016
Yes I do agree with you regarding launch position on the 2nd swing. On the 2nd swing I was focussing on not bringing the hands forward with the forward move. Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I don’t know about the second swing. The hands might be better, although there is extra effort taking place. I can see a clear change as you start the swing. The upperbody seems to delay the swing as they try to get the extra effort.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I’m wondering what is being loaded?, Because I think I see the lowerbody pause as well. It seems you lose the coil.

There is a reach with the front foot. I think the reach is OK in some hitters.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
I’m wondering what is being loaded?, Because I think I see the lowerbody pause as well. It seems you lose the coil.

There is a reach with the front foot. I think the reach is OK in some hitters.
THanks Shawn, TBH, not thinking about cool. In regards to effort, same effort both swings just extra attention to keeping the hands back which could look like the pause you are seeing I guess, either that or I was sitting off speed 😂.
These are not great swings, I didn’t transition to launch position very well, I didn’t really get FYB, say back too much IMO

cheers

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee