This Old Man is dusting off the cleats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
THanks Shawn, TBH, not thinking about cool. In regards to effort, same effort both swings just extra attention to keeping the hands back which could look like the pause you are seeing I guess, either that or I was sitting off speed 😂.
These are not great swings, I didn’t transition to launch position very well, I didn’t really get FYB, say back too much IMO

cheers

The interesting thing with this experiment is going to be the verbiage that posters will use to describe things. @Shawn mentions that he believes you are reaching with the front leg. In your post you state "I didn't really get FYB, stay back too much". IMO they are essentially the same thing. By creating a balanced move out the swing will become closer to what both sides are looking for.

May 12, 2016
The interesting thing with this experiment is going to be the verbiage that posters will use to describe things. @Shawn mentions that he believes you are reaching with the front leg. In your post you state "I didn't really get FYB, stay back too much". IMO they are essentially the same thing. By creating a balanced move out the swing will become closer to what both sides are looking for.
Absolutely. And I was agreeing with him as you noted. But I just want to point out, that some MLB hitters reach with their front leg or toe tap but then they get FYB after with no stride. That was not my intention in my swing, I just had a poor move out IMO

May 12, 2016
After sleeping on it I thought. You being a lefty and in pretty good shape. Lay down some bunts and watch the old guys work a little. You might get to base every time..
I'm the old guy, they are they young guys :). Bunting requires me to run, no thanks. I plan on hitting the gaps and settling for a single LOL

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Absolutely. And I was agreeing with him as you noted. But I just want to point out, that some MLB hitters reach with their front leg or toe tap but then they get FYB after with no stride. That was not my intention in my swing, I just had a poor move out IMO
Yep. I get that. Just pointing out the similarities.

The reach/toe tap style you are referring to is pre-move out in my opinion. It's more of a setup move.

May 12, 2016
Yep. I get that. Just pointing out the similarities.

The reach/toe tap style you are referring to is pre-move out in my opinion. It's more of a setup move.
I agree, it's exactly what it is, I refer to it as a false stride sometimes. They are just getting in position to start their sequence, it's not really part of of their sequence.

May 12, 2016
Well, just picked up a 33/30 wooden baseball bat.. compared to my DD's 32/22 which I got use to swinging at the field with her for the past 6 years, it's a brick LOL

May 12, 2016
Boy oh boy am I ever struggling and this is just off the tee LOL.. having fun swinging the bat again though.

gif (78).gif ezgif.com-gif-maker (4).gif

gif (79).gif ezgif.com-gif-maker (3).gif

Keeping my own thoughts to myself, I'll let you guys pick it apart. Again, this thread is not about(or I'm hoping) one approach vs another. I am willing to try anything and post which hopefully will give us all some insight.

Cheers

Attachments

• ezgif.com-gif-maker (2).gif
    ezgif.com-gif-maker (2).gif
    281.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Boy oh boy am I ever struggling and this is just off the tee LOL.. having fun swinging the bat again though.

View attachment 23476 View attachment 23480

View attachment 23481 View attachment 23482

Keeping my own thoughts to myself, I'll let you guys pick it apart. Again, this thread is not about(or I'm hoping) one approach vs another. I am willing to try anything and post which hopefully will give us all some insight.

Cheers
Julray,

A pause in the hands is fine. You pause the lowerbody with the pause of the hands. You then weight shift and swing at the same time.

I’m in no way knocking your swing. Just talking hitting.🥎

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Your hands are not synced to the middle. more shoulder/arm/hand driven than anything else. its Your load. Get the middle to move you. Or stretch the middle to move you.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Except for the front leg reach, the swing is not too bad.

2021-0808-julray-0.00.00.00.png

Thanks goodness you don't actually swing down as you describe it. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA