Thinking Outside the Box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2012
In 10u rec we had a sign for the pitch to throw it 10ft high into the backstop with a runner on 3rd. It worked once or twice.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Ok, so the girls were not getting under the ball to catch flies. they were poking their arm out as far as they could reach.
Its actually a smart thing to do, as we are hard wired NOT TO run under things falling from the sky.

so, I attached a large plastic drinking cup, to the front of an old tee shirt.

I threw these small plastic balls, up in the air, and they had to catch them in the cup. The small balls were worth 25 cents for each one they caught.
the Money ball was a large wiffle ball, worth one dollar.
They loved this drill.

My wife said that it was a very Inappropriate drill, for the girls. So, I changed from a tee shirt, to a sweat shirt, she still was not pleased.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I've reversed my lineup by putting the best hitters at the bottom because I knew a coach always pitched #2. In the 2nd and 4th innings.
I put my best infielder in RF to guard against a home run against a big lefty hitter (she kept it to a triple to keep the tying run from scoring)

Oct 25, 2009
mann, that reminds me of a thing the captain of one of the HS teams I helped with introduced. They would write their names with their butts. It was totally hilarious to everyone as the team did it.

However, it was nipped in the "butt" by another HS team I also worked with. The head coach deemed it inappropriate at that level. I should have had one of the girls introduce it and it would have been ok I guess.

Try it yourself, it's hilarious! Good team bonding activity. Maybe you can even get the coaches to try it.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I put my best infielder in RF to guard against a home run against a big lefty hitter (she kept it to a triple to keep the tying run from scoring)

My daughter's middle school coach did that a couple of times last spring. The first baseman, a good fielder and travel player, would be switched to center field whenever two particular batters came to the plate. It did result in a couple of outs, although can't be sure the original CF would not have caught it.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
In 10u, I occasionally would surprise the team with a game of wiffle ball in lieu of 'normal' practice. I would coach pitch, ensuring that it was very fast-paced. It would be 5 on 5 or 6 on 6.

Had three reasons for it --

1. - It was a fun change of pace, loosened them up, and helped them bond as a team. I hope that it reminded them of why they played the game in the first place - because of simple pleasure of throwing, catching and hitting a ball. It's fun to get people out, it's fun to be safe.

2 - It was good practice for base-running, which is hard to simulate in normal practices. It also was practice for fielders making decisions on where to throw the ball, which is similarly hard to simulate/teach in practice.

3 - It was good practice for the batter learning to wait for a good pitch. Wiffle ball levels the playing field in terms of power, hand-eye, because every TB player even at 10U can wack a wiffle ball pretty good. It often comes down to discipline and pitch selection, especially when I'm the coach/pitcher with that lesson in mind.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying