Are pitchers required to stay within the 24” lines?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
What advantage does stepping outside the 24” line give a pitcher? Are the requirements the same as for batters as far as staying completely inside?

Jun 22, 2008
Being outside the 24" width gives them more angle to throw the ball across the plate. As long as they are touching the imaginary line they are legal. And no, the lines are not drawn on any field except college.

Oct 25, 2009
The reason I asked is watching the Duke vs Michigan State game Jala Wright was landing 8-10 inches outside of the line and skipping back in. Practically every pitch. That is a tremendous advantage for the pitcher. I’ve only ever seen it called in a D3 game.

Jun 22, 2008
My tv screen must be different. She’s outside the 24” rubber.
The college lane lines flair out and would meet up with the inside corners of the batters boxes. She is landing on the marked line in the first inning. Once the line is gone it needs to be pretty obvious she is out.

May 13, 2023
The college lane lines flair out and would meet up with the inside corners of the batters boxes.
? Hmmm ?????????
never read a dimension that explained
a cone-shaped landing area???
Add a link would be good!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
The college lane lines flair out and would meet up with the inside corners of the batters boxes. She is landing on the marked line in the first inning. Once the line is gone it needs to be pretty obvious she is out.
The line stays intact for a few innings. Doesn’t seem equal for the batters being required to stay within the lines and not everyone else.

Jun 22, 2008
? Hmmm ?????????
never read a dimension that explained
a cone-shaped landing area???
As I tell people all the time, never try to apply any other ruleset to NCAA, or NCAA to any other ruleset. There are far more differences than there are similarities. Its not much, but they do physically flare out.

Pitcher’s lane 8-foot lines drawn within the outer edges of the pitcher’s plate toward the
inside edges of the inside front corners of the batter’s boxes; 24 inches wide
at the pitcher’s plate and 25 inches wide where it intersects the pitcher’s circle

Oct 25, 2009
That doesn’t sound right. 24” pitching lane matches 24” pitching plate. For the purpose of ensuring pitcher stays within the 24”. Why would there be a flare?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00