Cost per game?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Hmm ... need to look into this. On the baseball side, we don't have Legion in my immediate area, but it is about an hour away in any direction. I was scheduled to go work my first Legion game last night (canceled due to the air quality alerts).

Feb 7, 2014
Hmm ... need to look into this. On the baseball side, we don't have Legion in my immediate area, but it is about an hour away in any direction. I was scheduled to go work my first Legion game last night (canceled due to the air quality alerts).

Yeah, it's hard to make comparisons between baseball and softball at times. That being said Legion baseball has a good track record of putting players in college and MLB. Give Legion softball a few decades and see where they're at?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Here is a link to the USA Softball tournament site. I don't know the predominant softball organization in your area but they probably have a site like this where you can go to see what is available in your area and what the costs are. Also, I don't know what field availability is like in your area, around here many organizations are looking for fields to use and pay a good buck if they can find one. You might reach out to the teams in your area and see what they are looking for. Local round robins might be a big hit. There is also the possibility of starting a small league with play on week nights.

Jul 14, 2018
Here in the NJ/Eastern PA region paying the umpires in cash before each game has become the standard in most tournaments (the big exception being showcases). It makes budgeting a little challenging as you have no idea how many games you’ll play on Sunday and the coach has to keep a pocketful of 20’s just in case you get all the way to the final.

The cash is typically $60 per game, so if you play six games you’re at 50% of the entrance fee additional.

I like the idea of a higher quality game experience in theory: three umpires, no time limits, more of the HS/College experience. However, most higher level teams carry 16+ players and the current tournament model is a good way to make sure everyone gets some playing time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 25, 2022
We are also located in the NE and pay at plate seems to be the norm, which I honestly can't stand.

Entry fees typically range for us $400-$600 plus ump fees and most tournaments are 4gg, (3 pool, single elimination bracket)
So total costs can range from $50-$80 per girl depending on games played.

When we host and what I look for (but rarely find) is:
1:15/1:20 finish the inning. I hate when it's a drop dead time limit in tournament play. Friendlies and round robins I have no problem with it.
Set schedules 1:40 apart, with a caveat that teams must be ready 20 min prior to start time if field/ump(s) available and both teams on field
No pay at plate. Registration/entry fees include ump costs.
Two umpires. The umpire shortage still looms, at least in my locale. (Because of that, this is a preference, not mandatory)
Double elimination Sundays are very rare, but I do like when a 3rd vs 4th consolation game is included.
If possible, I will also look at schedules from previous years. If I see some teams spending 10-12 hours at a complex on pool day and the host team is out by 1pm, I pass. It's not that hard with 8-12 teams to figure a fair schedule for all. (I'm not referring to showcases, nationals, etc..)
I'll also google view the venue(s). I learned from experience that some venues don't have a parking lot capable of holding 12 teams worth of cars and having to park in some pretty shady areas.

May 29, 2015
Here is a link to the USA Softball tournament site. I don't know the predominant softball organization in your area but they probably have a site like this where you can go to see what is available in your area and what the costs are. Also, I don't know what field availability is like in your area, around here many organizations are looking for fields to use and pay a good buck if they can find one. You might reach out to the teams in your area and see what they are looking for. Local round robins might be a big hit. There is also the possibility of starting a small league with play on week nights.

USA was the standard around here when I left, but they royally screwed the pooch and have essentially folded. The people involved are trying to bring it back.

I actually don’t want alphabet-affiliated tournaments. If this were to happen, it would be independent, NFHS rules, and would be focused on an experience like @Rick M stated.

We’re getting lost in the weeds a little bit … (My comment about Legion was more my curiosity for my umpiring.)

I know a number of local schools run weekend triangulars during the school season and a few use 3UC. I’m trying to figure out if that can be financially supported more often.

Jun 20, 2015
around SW and central Ohio. The only tourneys doing pay at the plate have very low to no tourney admission fees. These are really small events. Many parks are dinging folks with parking or gate fees, but at least liberal cooler policies.

Huge events are usually at Lou Berliner Park with it's pluses and minuses. 30+ turf fields, ample parking, but also, parking fee, traffic and 30+ turf fields.

TD's seem to be able to get 2 umps for all games 12U and higher.

Jul 14, 2018
I know a number of local schools run weekend triangulars during the school season and a few use 3UC. I’m trying to figure out if that can be financially supported more often.

We usually play some early-season friendlies that get you three tournament-style games in one day. They run about $350 plus the $180 for pay at the plate. Would we pay the same for two regulation games? Probably, but then the matchups become important as well. If one game of three is a mismatch that’s over quickly, no big deal. If one of two that are supposed to go seven ends in a four-inning mercy, not so great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
Quick and dirty, back of the napkin … without proper research …

Theoretically $600, four games. Two on Saturday and two on Sunday (4 games in one day is a bit much). Every team plays head to head, with a 3/4 game and a 1/2 game to cap
It off.

No gate fees. Focus on drawing quality 16u/18u teams to play on quality fields with quality umpires.

Probably won’t happen. 😁

Feb 7, 2014
Quick and dirty, back of the napkin … without proper research …

Theoretically $600, four games. Two on Saturday and two on Sunday (4 games in one day is a bit much). Every team plays head to head, with a 3/4 game and a 1/2 game to cap
It off.

No gate fees. Focus on drawing quality 16u/18u teams to play on quality fields with quality umpires.

Probably won’t happen. 😁
What you just mentioned is what I think Legion softball will eventually be... only you won't be limited to Saturday and Sunday. Mom and Dad won't spend all day at the field. Games will be concentrated (6 - 10pm). Field will be drug and chalked before every game. The quality will be good and the cost will be down (compared to travel costs).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00