The worst kind of parent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
I have no children on my teams. My daughter has gone through the mill. She is out of college and working. What I tell my parents at the initial team meeting where I have everyone there is this. I will never bring anyone's child home from a practice or pick them up and bring them to a team event. I will not let myself ever be put in a questionable situation. If your child needs transportation to or from they better make sure they have it covered. It has never been an issue. The parents all make sure the kids are taken care of.

I've had a few who did the drop and run thing, but mostly they were busy moms with other kids at home to take care of.

My favorite is "10 minute Mike." This the parent who either 10 minutes late or 10 minutes early for everything, mostly late. I did have a mom who was forever late to everything. The daughter outsmarted her for the first day of tryouts one year. She told the mom they were 30 minutes sooner than the posted time. Mom never checked. It was one of the few things the kid got to on time.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
^^ Unfortunately, I am that parent. As a mom of 5, it seems something always comes up right as we are walking out the door. For games and practices, i have all the times set into my phone 15 minutes early, with the alarm to go off 30 minutes (or even an hour for older DD's games) earlier than that. I know when that alarm goes off it is time to be packing in the car to leave.

My biggest issues is when DH is at work, he's a firefighter and works 24 hour shifts, because never fail I will have 2 practices and a game, or 2 games and a practice, or 3 games all on the same night in overlapping times at different places. I have had to start calling in back ups. But I am truly working on this, so I am no longer that parent.

Jun 21, 2010
A few things I've experienced as a new assistant coach.

#1. Parent calls to ask if coaches are picking up girls for an out of town game. Their DD didn't make the game 30 minutes away.

#2. Light drizzle during warmups at a recent game. Mom calls and says her DD won't be at the game because of rain. I hear from their DD she was running around in the rain at home.

#3. Same game, mom doesn't want game played because her DD will get sick and they don't have insurance. Called her DD into dugout and made sure she was dressed for the weather.

#4. Mom comes up to me at practice and reminds me my DD needs to go after pass balls a little faster. Perhaps her DD shouldn't throw pass balls!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma