The recruiting reach of the Power Five conferences

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Thanks the input!!! I guess the advice to parents would be to calculate their total out-of-pocket expenses vs. percentages.

In-state fees example
10,000 tuition
12,000 lodging
2,000 books
6,000 meals

30,000 total, so a 50% scholarship would still be $15K/year out-of-pocket

Out-of-state fee example
30,000 tuition
12,000 lodging
2,000 books
6,000 meals

50,000 total, so a 50% scholarship would be $25K out-of-pocket

Also keep in mind that 3rd party scholarships may be designated for tuition only, books etc. Having give and take as to what the athletic scholarship may provide can make a big difference in the bottom line. Every year I have conversations with families that have not thought through the basics. They are targeting schools where even if they get a generous athletic scholarship and some academic monies the shortfall is beyond their financial abilities. So in the absence of a robust college fund the only option is a loan?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Also keep in mind that 3rd party scholarships may be designated for tuition only, books etc. Having give and take as to what the athletic scholarship may provide can make a big difference in the bottom line. Every year I have conversations with families that have not thought through the basics. They are targeting schools where even if they get a generous athletic scholarship and some academic monies the shortfall is beyond their financial abilities. So in the absence of a robust college fund the only option is a loan?

When we first started the recruiting process I bought Cathy Aradi's book on softball recruiting. It is a good read, but the information in the index on every D1, D2, and D3 college softball program is worth the cost. It provides a lot of great information about the schools, tuition and the coaches contact information. Most of that information is available online, but this book put it all at your fingertips. The biggest eye opener for me was the tuition costs of some of the private schools. Parents need to educate themselves on what their expected out-of-pocket costs will be because a 75% ride at a private school may cost more out-of-pocket than a 25% ride at an in-state public school...

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
When we first started the recruiting process I bought Cathy Aradi's book on softball recruiting. It is a good read, but the information in the index on every D1, D2, and D3 college softball program is worth the cost. It provides a lot of great information about the schools, tuition and the coaches contact information. Most of that information is available online, but this book put it all at your fingertips. The biggest eye opener for me was the tuition costs of some of the private schools. Parents need to educate themselves on what their expected out-of-pocket costs will be because a 75% ride at a private school may cost more out-of-pocket than a 25% ride at an in-state public school...

Great point. Know of a local player who was offered partial academic monies to attend a very good D3 in the Boston area. After it was all said and done it was less for her parents to send her up the road to The University of Florida. She opted to stay warm and play club ball in Gainesville.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1