List of Nursing Friendly Softball College Programs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
FGCU and PBA both have nurse majors off the top of my head.
Having a program is not the same as allowing their athletes to pursue those degrees. I am putting this list together mainly because there is a very persistent myth out there that a player can't do nursing and softball/athletics - which can be true at many schools, but not at others.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va allows athletes to pursue a degree in nursing as long as Dr. Dot Richardson is the Head Coach.

South Alabama in Mobile, Al
Allows student athletes to pursue a nursing degree but it does require a 5th accelerated year. Which they will pay for if you choose to go the nursing route or something to that nature. I don’t remember exactly how it was laid out by the coaches but it is something along those lines.

University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, Al allows athletes to pursue degree in nursing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 8, 2015
Having a program is not the same as allowing their athletes to pursue those degrees. I am putting this list together mainly because there is a very persistent myth out there that a player can't do nursing and softball/athletics - which can be true at many schools, but not at others.

Sorry if my post wasn’t clear. Both those schools have Softball players with Nursing majors on their current rosters.

Whether or not the coaches support the major is a different story. And I honestly can’t answer as I have zero experience with either of those programs.

I like the thread topic and appreciate taking the initiative. My daughter wants to pursue Nursing, yet she is still narrowing the list and before pursuing a select few. We will be checking this list as it grows. Those were just the two that popped into my head at the time of the post.

Nov 18, 2013
FWIW girls can also be pre-med and still play softball.

IME most of the people that say their kids didn’t play college softball or didn’t play at a higher level use their major as an excuse. If a kid wants to be a nurse or anything else there’s a way to make it happen.

Nov 15, 2019
As of 2017 when we were touring colleges, you could play softball with a nursing major at these colleges:
Grace College, Winona Lake, IN
Bethel University, Mishawaka, IN
Spring Arbor University, Spring Arbor, MI
Concordia College, Ann Arbor, MI

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
Play 2 years then focus on your major of Nursing without softball. Its not impossible to do both but clinical rotations will take up time that you probably dont have. Most nursing programs will not be flexible unless its a part time program which takes 5 years to complete a BSN instead of 4years. Some schools do have admissions each semester allowing you to graduate a semester or two late, but must be arranged before the program starts.

May 27, 2013
FWIW girls can also be pre-med and still play softball.

IME most of the people that say their kids didn’t play college softball or didn’t play at a higher level use their major as an excuse. If a kid wants to be a nurse or anything else there’s a way to make it happen.

Pre-med majors don’t typically have restrictive timelines in which they must complete their courses. A lot of BSN programs follow a very strict, 4-year timeframe. See my post in the Softball Discussions forum and I explain why.

I, personally, didn’t use my chosen major as an excuse not to keep playing, I decided that I just didn’t want to attend “any“ school where nursing and softball could possibly work. I chose nursing at the school I really wanted to attend and where I knew I’d be happy for the next four years of my life, among numerous other factors. This school had a proven track record of a high pass rate on the NCLEX, as well as a high number of new grads landing nursing jobs right out of school. Maybe a lot of those girls made their choice not to play for similar reasons?

Interestingly enough, the school I attended does not have any nursing majors on their roster.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The University of Missouri at St. Louis (UMSL) always has girls who play softball and are in their nursing program. Every young lady who went through the program as well as the nursing program when my dd played there is currently working as a nurse. They are employed from Chicago to St. Louis to a smaller community in Texas who's name escapes me at this time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478