The Pitfalls of Having a “Nice” Culture

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2014
I've seen both sides recently. The head softball coach not allowed to do or say anything except sit on a bucket and tell the players where to play (school coach) to my grandson's travel coach who attacks the kids(12u) personally because their 'mistakes' embarrassed him in front of people(he calls it old school coaching). I think most parents want their children coached and expect discipline just not embarrassment, humiliation, cussed out, because the coach has self esteem issues.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Had to stop at 52 seconds...
He said everyones afraid to yell at someone, chew someone out ...
(i know its just a discussion video point,)
But has he actually been to any games LOL

Cant sit through a days games without hearing some
Overly critical back biting...

:) oh like my post ;)

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018
Ugh. There was coach like this in my DD's rec days. He would berate 10/11 year old girls and scream across the field and we once heard him threaten to break fingers. We told the league when they did the draft there was no way our DD would play on his team, period. It was horrifying to listen to and we couldn't believe the other parents tolerated it. I sometimes wonder how many of those girls are still playing.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Ugh. There was coach like this in my DD's rec days. He would berate 10/11 year old girls and scream across the field and we once heard him threaten to break fingers. We told the league when they did the draft there was no way our DD would play on his team, period. It was horrifying to listen to and we couldn't believe the other parents tolerated it. I sometimes wonder how many of those girls are still playing.

What?! How is he still coaching after threatening physical harm? That’s insane.

Oct 4, 2018
I will admit that the teams we've been on are super soft. I wish they got on the players a bit more.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
This might sound a little weird, but I think most players/kids in general respond to "loving criticism". They can handle and even respond to criticism when they know it is coming with their best interest in mind. Yelling, attacking, berating, and threatening is not from that place and the player responds out of fear instead of wanting to do and get better.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
This might sound a little weird, but I think most players/kids in general respond to "loving criticism". They can handle and even respond to criticism when they know it is coming with their best interest in mind. Yelling, attacking, berating, and threatening is not from that place and the player responds out of fear instead of wanting to do and get better.
DD's former TB coach was awesome. He NEVER yelled at players, but I heard he would get into it in his earlier years on the field. Some former players says he mellowed out over the years. He always had his "talks" up close and personal. If DD wasn't cutting it behind the plate, coach had no problem, telling the other catcher, "Get your gear on" and replace her after the next pitch. Usually when there is a lack of focus that happens.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Tend to agree with that weird but plausible reasoning.

Being attacked even verbally can provoke fight or flight mechanism.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan