The PC is exaggerating my niece's speed.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 3, 2009
...they throw rocks and scream curses at you all the way out of earshot on the way back to Houston. Then email you and tell you the same thing. Then, to make it even worse, they tell dear old Uncle Bill and he cusses you out. Even Aunt Sally Mae gets involved.

You're right, stay out of it.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I don't know why any pitching coach would do that. Well, I guess I do but I think it's foolish. I know there are all these kids running around thinking they have all these pitches too when all they really have is several different fastballs.

I use a Jugs gun to measure pitch speed. Not very often, but when I do it that's what I use. I don't consider a pitcher to have a pitch unless it shows a definite change in direction, not just any angle. I see no benefit to telling people anything but the truth, since the truth will certainly come out on the field.

That being said, tough to burst your relatives' bubble. They'll find out for themselves in time, I'm sure.

Jul 28, 2008
We faced a 10U pitcher who's dad said she has 6 pitches. Fastball, CU, curve, drop, rise & screwball. I just smile and nod at him. I should ask him which D1 school she signed with. :)

Mar 15, 2010
We faced a 10U pitcher who's dad said she has 6 pitches. Fastball, CU, curve, drop, rise & screwball. I just smile and nod at him. I should ask him which D1 school she signed with. :)

When my DD was an 8U she had 6 pitches: way high, way low, way inside, way outside, in the dirt and over the backstop

May 25, 2010

Hey, mine has 5 of those 6. The fact that it's purely accidental shouldn't affect the impact of the story at all. hehe

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I rarely used the gun. Many times, when I did, I would look at it and give them a verbal of 4 or 5 mph LESS than what it was the last session saw accurately. AND I would say it real loud so other students/parents/coaches would hear it. Made em mad and they would usually pick up a few more mph cause if they had thrown in the low 50's last week, hearing 46, 45, 47 was EMBARASSING. :)

But, after a few minutes of that I would say 'JUST KIDDING, 53'. Then many times they stayed mad,,,, AT ME! Wish I had a nickel for every time I heard a student say to their Dad, "AAAWWW. I HATE IT WHEN HE DOES THAT!" HEHEHE

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad