The PC is exaggerating my niece's speed.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I rarely get to see my nephew's DD pitch, but he had been telling me that the PC clocked her at 55mph. (She just finished 7th grade.)

We don't live near each other, but I drove to see her pitch last week and "Oh, my gosh." I don't think that she is breaking 45. She attempted one change up the entire game and it was awful.

They are paying this guy (who comes with a very good reputation. They named the HS field after him. ) $35.00 for 30 minutes. He tells them that she has a screw ball and a curve ball. I think that he is the screw ball.

This guy is full of students and I suspect that it is because he is telling people what they want to hear.

Ouch.

May 25, 2010
I love that fact that my kid's pitching coaches are brutally honest with both of us. That's what I pay them for and kiddo has responded wonderfully. She's still young, but it's my hope that she will always prefer honesty to roses. I don't know how fast she's throwing, but she's 7, and none of the 7-10yo in 8u have been able to catch up to her pitches. Only one girl all season was able to get a ball into play off her. The slow machine is set to 35 and she's definitely faster than that. 45mph seems high, though, so I'm guessing she's around 40, but wouldn't swear to anything. Her coaches - at least to this point - only work with her on form and don't even talk to either of us about speed. The velocity has improved as a function of improvements in her overall form.

I understand that business is business, but give me an honest coach any day of the week.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Hey, hey, hey........I thought exaggerating DD's pitching speeds were a dad's job. I'm sure not going to pay someone $35, when I can lie for free!!! :)

But seriously, I have seen several PC's that were not so good at coaching the kids, but were great at salesmanship. Buyer beware!!!

Apr 13, 2010
Exaggerating Pitching Coach: Hi, EP Dad. You're DD is throwing 53 MPH today as a 10, congratulations.

EP Dad: Thanks Mr./Mrs. Pitching Coach. I guess we don't need you anymore. This will be out last lesson.

Mar 15, 2010
A couple of lessons back my DDs PC pulled her aside during the middle of practice and told her bluntly, "You are a great pitcher but your work ethic sucks. If we have one more practice where I have to remind you about fundamentals than I am not going to teach you anything more than how to throw a fastball." PC told me beforehand she was going to have this talk and I was OK with it. Bottom line is the past two weeks DD has worked harder than ever on her pitching and the PC has remarked that her approach to practices has changed completely. A good PC will tell both you and your DD what needs to heard.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
When dubious about a seemingly exaggerated throwing velocity, simply ask "Kilometers per hour, not miles per hour, right?" Of course, you might get physically assaulted if they don't have a sense of humor.

Happy to help - GM

Jul 14, 2008
I rarely get to see my nephew's DD pitch, but he had been telling me that the PC clocked her at 55mph. (She just finished 7th grade.)

We don't live near each other, but I drove to see her pitch last week and "Oh, my gosh." I don't think that she is breaking 45. She attempted one change up the entire game and it was awful.

They are paying this guy (who comes with a very good reputation. They named the HS field after him. ) $35.00 for 30 minutes. He tells them that she has a screw ball and a curve ball. I think that he is the screw ball.

This guy is full of students and I suspect that it is because he is telling people what they want to hear.

Ouch.

What I don't understand is......if you can drive far enough to see her pitch......they can't drive far enough to have you coach......free......

Surely $35 will pay for the gas round trip.....Even if it's once a month......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00