The low A/high B conundrum

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
I'm going to give some specifics to set the stage though really I'm just interested in a more general discussion, because it's a lazy Sunday and I'm avoiding cleaning stuff.

My daughter plays on a first year 10U team through an A organization. They're solid. The top half of our team is A level; the bottom half probably more high B. They're all 06 birthdays but one, but several have played up, and I think most of what separates the bottom half from the top half is experience. Every girl on the team has good potential and athleticism.

In the fall we played 5 tournaments. We played 3 A level tournaments, and 2 that were not labelled but the other teams were more B level. When we play A teams, we hold our own and typically don't get killed, nor do we often win. There was one game against a very good team that was VERY close, one run difference in the final inning. I was not there, because my older one had a game too, and I hear it was the most exciting game ever. Point being, we're competitive and will probably do a lot of winning 2nd year 10U if the team stays together but for now with the lesser experience we mostly lose against A teams. We did not place in any of the A tourneys, (we did go into the season fully expecting that to be the case-we were actually prepared for a good bit more stomping than we got).

The B tournaments we took 2nd and 1st place respectively. In the first one we lost 2 games to the same team. Because of the org rules, the other team was able to play with 4-5 picked-up 04 girls. We only have one that's not an 06 (she's a late 05). They stomped us good - this was an early tournament where many of our girls still weren't hitting much at all (including mine). The 2nd B tournament was our last of the season. We scored something like 56 runs and only had around 6 runs scored on us. We took 1st place easily.

So the topic of discussion: what do you do with a team like this? What's fair? Obviously we want to play the A tournaments mostly, because that's the best way to improve. But keeping in mind that these girls are 9, is it unreasonable to sign up for one now and then where they've got a good chance of taking the gold? Having been on a really weak B team last year in 8U and pretty much never placing at all, that kind of sucks. It's nice to get a win now and then, helps pump them up and keep them going. But is it unfair to the other teams at the lower level tournaments?

Again not so much about OUR team - our schedule's set for the spring and we're mostly in As again. My dd says she never wants to play in a B tournament again. She enjoyed winning but felt like it was not a fair competition, and was too easy. If I had to guess most of the girls on our team felt that way. I tend to agree, that it's better to keep playing in the As, letting the girls know that their hard work will pay off and next year they'll be closer to the top of the pack when the 05s go to 12U. Just curious if others have been there and what your thoughts are WRT being on a team that can't beat most of the As but stomps most of the Bs. Go!

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD was told she was not going to make the Team. 1st game she threw 4 shut out innings, thank you defense, and scored twice in the first inninga, thank you offense.

2 games latter the opposition coach had their stepping off the bases for an out.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
It sounds like your DD's team is on the cusp of being a good team. They are winning where they should and being competitive where they should. The coaches appear to have the team moving in the right direction. Give them some time and they will start winning the close games. They need to be in that situation more to learn how to win those types of games.

Oct 10, 2011
I'd go A and play some open tournaments. 1st and foremost, it's about developing ALL of the players on the team at that age. They'll start winning more A games and that's much more satisfying than beating up on B teams.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Jun 12, 2015
I'd go A and play some open tournaments. 1st and foremost, it's about developing ALL of the players on the team at that age. They'll start winning more A games and that's much more satisfying than beating up on B teams.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That's for sure. I really wish I'd been there for that close game I mentioned. The GoPro chose that game to malfunction so I couldn't even watch it at home later. Bummer!

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
When we play A teams, we hold our own and typically don't get killed, nor do we often win. There was one game against a very good team that was VERY close, one run difference in the final inning.

Good teams sometimes play bad, and find a way to win close games against inferior competition. The softball stands are filled with stories of bad teams almost beating a good team. Anyone can win a blowout. Good teams win the close ones, while bad teams lose the close ones and talk about the "almost win".

Having said that, your team is a young team. They will take their lumps. Play the A schedule to get better, but you have to mix in a couple of tournaments where the girls can feel a little success. As they mature and become one of the older teams the need to schedule those will diminish.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
High B/low A is the "catch 22" of TB and there is not a good answer, but I will add that if your DD is on one of the Big 3 (Vipers, Impact, ECB) then the other coaches will blow up the tournament directors phones if y'all sign up for B-level tournament. You can probably get away with some "open" tournaments or playing up an age group, but to play a B-level tournament in your age group is not going to go over well.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I think it's largely a myth. I was a head coach in Georgia for 4 years, the last 2 in 12U, and I'd describe us as a B+/A- team, but I didn't experience it as a conundrum. There were plenty of B+/A- tournaments. They weren't necessarily called called B+/A-. Some were A-level tournaments with mediocre A-level teams in them. The Vipers and Impact didn't enter those. Others were B-level tournaments with at least a couple of really good B teams that were going to be hard to beat. We did enter tournaments where we knew we'd probably get run-ruled at least once, and we played some where we thought we'd win and did, but we didn't have trouble finding something in between.

Sep 17, 2009
You're asking the wrong question (respectfully). Question should be: can we/do we want to keep this team together and getting better? If the answer is yes, then it doesn't matter what you win at 10U (it REALLY doesn't, trust me). It's about what can we do to be dominant at 12U/14U/16U etc....the real questions are around what is this team all about, do they want to stay together, do they want to get better, etc....I always see every season as three seasons -- fall, winter, summer (start again). Great teams start again each 'sub-season' and can make surprising strides even WITHIN a season if they are working hard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors