The little chat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Is it a girl thing? You know that little chat between hitters. Example: Jenny strikes out or rolls over an outside pitch and hits a lazy GB to the SS and is out. Judy, who is on deck, picks up Jenny's bat and hands it to her and they chat. Usually, it's about the pitcher. I have overheard some of these chats and I don't believe they are very productive. "She is super-fast and has crazy spin." doesn't exactly breed confidence. I would rather hear, " I was a little early, stay back and get her..drive the ball."
I don't know if it's a girl thing...but I have done this. I look at it as telling the hitter coming up what to expect. I have had previous hitters that have gotten out tell me what to expect and I have done the same.

Jun 27, 2021
Best is always the ones who tell the one who just batted, "I know what they are throwing" or "just keep walking" or the best "eye roll"

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Best is always the ones who tell the one who just batted, "I know what they are throwing" or "just keep walking" or the best "eye roll"
Well, I don't know if the eye roll is needed but if you just struck out on 3 straight pitches, I probably wouldn't want to hear what you got to say. In all seriousness I really think you want less thoughts running thru your head. Breathe, see ball, hit ball. Simpler the better. I have seen players chat for 20 to 30 OR MORE seconds. I am like, "WTH are they talking about."

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I knew of one girl on DD's team who always was lead off (coach's DD) and would frequently advise the 2 hitter "she's super-slow" as she walked back to the dugout after striking out.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I really dont want hitters over thinking in the box. In fact, I like this:
View attachment 25066

This works for some, maybe most, but I can't even imagine how "don't think" would work when playing a sport. If I go up there without a plan of attack, without a thought about what the pitcher is going to try to do, etc. I feel lost. The "just hit" thing doesn't work for me, and I imagine it doesn't work for a lot of others either.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
This works for some, maybe most, but I can't even imagine how "don't think" would work when playing a sport. If I go up there without a plan of attack, without a thought about what the pitcher is going to try to do, etc. I feel lost. The "just hit" thing doesn't work for me, and I imagine it doesn't work for a lot of others either.

The Mental Keys to Hitting: A Handbook of Strategies for Performance Enhancement​

80 ratings arrow_drop_down

by
H A Dorfman and Rick Wolff

The whole book a can be summed up in a few words. Breathe, see the ball, be easy (relax) and confidence. But there a lot of cool stories so it's fun to read. Visualize line drives and let them happen. Thinking and planning (usually when facing tougher pitching) are done in the on deck circle and in the hole. You do not want your mind cluttered with mechanical cues. Thats what practice is for and if you should have confidence in the box because you know you have prepared/practiced. Come game speed, the subconscious mind is a better hitter.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Mental connection to hitting~
Trust our swing!
'the mechanics we have been training with'
And
Believe in ourselves!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members