self-depreciating talk in the dugout / poor body language

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Funny. I just watched that video yesterday. Bobby Night and Augie Garrido....greatest coaches ever., but I'm old, and in this day and age...they would be canceled.
Yeah old has nothing to do with it. There are people of all ages who think their gonads need a wheelbarrow in order for them to be able to maneuver around.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

Two things:
These are young MEN. (not young women)

He is good at using cheap psychological tricks. He gets players to feel sorry for him. He puts the blame on himself after the rants. Also the part about "you will forget this in 15 minutes BUT poor ole me has to live with it for the rest of my life." It might work but I still believe there are better ways to motivate.

Feb 25, 2020
Ca.
I had basketball and baseball coaches like Knight and Garrido 30+ years ago. I thought they were idiots back then and still do...only difference is you didn't complain about it 30 years ago.
I can respect that. I had a coach like that, I loved him.

And yes these are coaches who coached young men, At the college level, you had/have a choice if you wanted to play under that style of coaching.

I am not advocating this as a way to coach children. But IMO, kids these days are being set up to fail in the real world. The "participation award" generation is now the parents of players in all sports.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
I was the type of player who screamed at himself..I didn't need my coach doing it too. I quit both of those teams (baseball was college, basketball was HS) because I just couldn't take it anymore. Honestly quitting had more to do with how I treated myself than what the coaches were doing, but they didn't help. I needed a coach who would tell me to calm down, get them next AB...not somebody telling me I was swinging like an old lady..because I was already thinking that myself. Both of those coaches won, a lot, but not because they acted like buffoons at times..

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

And yes these are coaches who coached young men, At the college level, you had/have a choice if you wanted to play under that style of coaching.

I am not advocating this as a way to coach children. But IMO, kids these days are being set up to fail in the real world. The "participation award" generation is now the parents of players in all sports.

Not berating children because they played poorly in a game doesn't set them up to fail in the real world. If you haven't noticed, young people today are more resilient than ever. They're doing great considering the hand they're being dealt.

Nobody was ruined because they got a tiny little trophy for being on the 4th place team when they played sports growing up.

My biggest problem with the video isn't the dumbass gang fight metaphor. It's not the swearing. It's not even losing his mind over a 4-2 loss. It's treating a single baseball game like it carries more importance than it does. This isn't football. Great teams lose games all the time. I can't imagine a team plays better being on edge like that, thinking a single bad day is going to be the end of their baseball world.

Garrido lost 951 games in his college coaching career (and still won 2/3 of his games, which is my entire point). Acting like that after each one must have been absolutely exhausting.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I had basketball and baseball coaches like Knight and Garrido 30+ years ago. I thought they were idiots back then and still do...only difference is you didn't complain about it 30 years ago.

I agree with you. The worst coach I ever had was a basketball coach whose default was to scream at kids. It often felt like he gave instructions through intimidation. (The second-worst coach is the idiot who made me pitch another inning when I didn't feel right and told him I was done, and that was the last time I ever pitched because of whatever it did to my shoulder.)

I hope I can articulate this properly. Gonna just shorthand this as "yelling" even though Garrido wasn't raising his voice in most of that video.

I'm not opposed to yelling, though lengthy tirades are probably not very effective. But something I think about when I watch these videos (and then try to think about in moments when coaching): Who are you yelling for?

When I see some of these outbursts, I often think the coach is yelling for himself. He's yelling because that's his way of making himself feel better. He's not yelling to get a player's attention. He's not yelling because he thinks that player or team needs a kick in the pants. He's yelling because he's mad, and that's all he can do in that situation. It's venting at his players, and I don't see how that does anybody any good.

I try very hard to only yell with purpose. I never want to yell at them for my benefit (I do, however, break a lot of pencils). It's not always easy. If I'm going to let the team have it, I'm only going to do it because I believe, in that moment, it might help. Because, really, the alternative is I just let a bunch of kids playing a game, trying their best, make me angry. And even though I'm far from a rah-rah type, what I've learned is that saying something positive or even nothing at all is better than reminding them of the failures they just experienced.

Jul 5, 2016

Participation trophies are for parents so they don't have to admit that their kid sucks at sports. The players after a certain age know that participation trophies are silly.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Participation trophies are for parents so they don't have to admit that their kid sucks at sports. The players after a certain age know that participation trophies are silly.
And before that certain age, we should be encouraging kids to love playing the game, and if a dumb plastic trophy makes that kid want to sign up next year, I don't see how that's a bad thing.

The real good kid, the competitive ones, they're not going to be made soft because they got a trophy as a member of the losing team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802