The little chat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Is it a girl thing? You know that little chat between hitters. Example: Jenny strikes out or rolls over an outside pitch and hits a lazy GB to the SS and is out. Judy, who is on deck, picks up Jenny's bat and hands it to her and they chat. Usually, it's about the pitcher. I have overheard some of these chats and I don't believe they are very productive. "She is super-fast and has crazy spin." doesn't exactly breed confidence. I would rather hear, " I was a little early, stay back and get her..drive the ball."

Jun 8, 2016
I don't see it as much in baseball, doesn't mean it is useless. I remember hearing that OU keeps a board in their dugout where they write down stuff after their ABs (or they did last year at least).

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2012
Are you asking about communicating? 😁
Hmmm? its kinda like offering directions...
🙈🙉🙊

Think it could be good if previous batter said something like
'Umpire called a very inside/outside pitch on me a strike.'
Simply cuz those locations are kind of hard to see from the side/dugouts.
This exactly. My DD bats lead off on her college team and if she doesn’t get on base she’ll tell the next batter if the ump has a spot that he’s calling strikes that they might not think is going to be a strike.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
This exactly. My DD bats lead off on her college team and if she doesn’t get on base she’ll tell the next batter if the ump has a spot that he’s calling strikes that they might not think is going to be a strike.
Are you asking about communicating? 😁
Hmmm? its kinda like offering directions...
🙈🙉🙊

Think it could be good if previous batter said something like
'Umpire called a very inside/outside pitch on me a strike.'
Simply cuz those locations are kind of hard to see from the side/dugouts.
Yeah, if the chat was short, constructive and informative, I might encourage it.

Jun 11, 2013
This has been going on since baseball and softball was invented. I've even seen it in slow pitch which seems a bit of overkill.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
I remember hearing that OU keeps a board in their dugout where they write down stuff after their ABs (or they did last year at least).

I like that because it gives you time to study and absorb the patterns that hitters are seeing, and it encourages hitters to think about what they are seeing and have a plan. I'm not sure the quick chat as the batter is strolling to the plate is as helpful because you probably should know all you need to know just watching from the on-deck circle or from the ''board in the dugout.'' Last-second advice can be helpful, but also dangerous. I'm not sure one outside pitch called a strike is reliable information. It's just one pitch and might cause you to overreact.

Jan 10, 2022
Long Island NY
well. at least they are communicating. i see the same thing when a runner scores and goes by the on deck batter, so i just think they talk because someone is there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi