The latest guru on Twitter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I never said there isn't an advantage to waiting and seeing where the ball will end up before swing..aka waiting :). I never said that all. I am asking you how long.. see question below again.

"How long does a batter with average bat speed facing a avg D1 pitcher (65 mph) have to recognize the pitch and get behind and through it when the pitch is breaking. Whether you believe the rise ball drops or rises.. there is an extreme plane difference between a drop ball and a rise ball."

I'm not arguing.. it's all good. I hope I didn't offend you.

rdbass answered the question..I thought it was more rhetorical hence why I didn't answer :cool:

Apr 11, 2015
That's ok, you don't understand, np. No different than Pujois saying he chops down on the ball in his Demo. He uses several cues in his interview that doesn't correlate to the swing he takes in a game. Can you get behind and through the ball by chopping down on it.. no of course not. But it works for him. So why is it so hard to understand that this cue helps my DD get behind the ball.
OK, good point. I have no idea why Albert, and some of the other MLBers think that they swing "down and to" the ball (it's almost like they've never watched videos of themselves), but if it works for them, and if "swing level" works for your DD...coolomondo. That's exactly why I said, "not saying what you're doing is wrong or won't work", because I guess it's working for them, and your DD, and I'm happy hear that from you.

TTB .. so at the moment a hitter TTB he knows exactly where the ball is breaking allowing him to get behind and through the ball... there is no adjustment?
Yes, just like any method of swing a hitter uses....once s/he decides to swing the bat, they swing the bat. I've never seen a good hitter start/"launch a swing" slowly, trying to "direct" the bat/barrel/knob/hands/whatever someplace, and then accelerate it later when they supposedly "launch" the barrel somewhere down the road.

Couldn't I simply ask you this as well? "Level swing .. so at the moment a hitter swings "level" he knows exactly where the ball is breaking allowing him to get behind and through the ball... there is no adjustment?" See how that makes no sense (or shouldn't) to you either?

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
rdbass answered the question..I thought it was more rhetorical hence why I didn't answer :cool:

I think he has me on ignore.....and since when is 65 mph average speed.
TTB .. so at the moment a hitter TTB he knows exactly where the ball is breaking allowing him to get behind and through the ball... there is no adjustment?
There are minor fine tuned adjustments made.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016

So based on RDBASS's answer (excellent source I might add, one that I used earlier that 5Frames rejected) a hitter has .28 milliseconds.. When the hitter TTB they know the break of the ball so they can get behind it.. they do not make any adjustments after TTB? They don't say for example drop the barrel more than they first thought they had to, ... to get to a hard breaking curve ball or drop ball?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
....and since when is 65 mph average speed.

There are minor fine tuned adjustments made.

Also a hitter has a built up data base/library from numerous swings to 'pull' info from the helps them also figure out the correct barrel path.

Jun 8, 2016
So based on RDBASS's answer (excellent source I might add, one that I used earlier that 5Frames rejected) a hitter has .28 milliseconds.. When the hitter TTB they know the break of the ball so they can get behind it.. they do not make any adjustments after TTB? They don't say for example drop the barrel more than they first thought they had to, ... to get to a hard breaking curve ball or drop ball?

I would say 95% or more of barrel direction is determined at or near launch if they aren't fooled..less if they
are.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
OK, good point. I have no idea why Albert, and some of the other MLBers think that they swing "down and to" the ball (it's almost like they've never watched videos of themselves)
Almost, but we know they do.. yet they still use these cues.

, but if it works for them, and if "swing level" works for your DD...coolomondo. That's exactly why I said, "not saying what you're doing is wrong or won't work", because I guess it's working for them, and your DD, and I'm happy hear that from you.

Yes, just like any method of swing a hitter uses....once s/he decides to swing the bat, they swing the bat. I've never seen a good hitter start/"launch a swing" slowly, trying to "direct" the bat/barrel/knob/hands/whatever someplace, and then accelerate it later when they supposedly "launch" the barrel somewhere down the road.

Couldn't I simply ask you this as well? "Level swing .. so at the moment a hitter swings "level" he knows exactly where the ball is breaking allowing him to get behind and through the ball... there is no adjustment?" See how that makes no sense (or shouldn't) to you either?

And I can answer that for you.. but once again, swing level is a cue, not a result. When my DD thinks swing level it keeps her hands above the ball and barrel on top of the ball. This allows her to stay on top of a rise ball and get behind it or easily drop the barrel to get behind a drop ball. Of course she makes some adjustments with her body when dropping the barrel as well. Point is, it's much easier to drop the barrel than bring it back up to get behind a rise ball. Prefer her to have a swing which she is able to make adjustments with, than one that has to be predetermined at TTB

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
How long does a batter with average bat speed facing a avg D1 pitcher (65 mph) have to recognize the pitch and get behind and through it when the pitch is breaking. Whether you believe the rise ball drops or rises.. there is an extreme plane difference between a drop ball and a rise ball.

First, notice I am an ex expert so take anything I say with a grain of salt. The answer is really about timing, sequence and load/unload. I teach tip and rip. I have my hitters get a running start by pulling the bow back, as I have described it here while, tipping and ripping. Therefore, that action is simultaneous with the loading process. To use a phrase that has been phased out in many circles, my hitters get into the "sit position" or loaded but they don't stop their momentum. Therefore, your question about timing can only be answered by my statement that my hitters already have a head start on that pitch. If you want to know when they adjust, it is immediately after the ball is released due to the reading of the pitch as they begin the unloading process and leave the "sitting position."

A hitter does not have the luxury to be able to read and react in a stagnant form. The process is dynamic which makes it more efficient and able to adjust while on the run. I hope that this makes sense.

Darrell

Edited to add:

When BB was playing against the Chicago Bandits, she knew that the woman pitching against her was going to be bringing the big stuff. So, a cue she ran through her head was, "don't get caught being late." She had to fire and go which meant that she had to make a decision on that swing right at ball release. She hit a home run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd