The latest guru on Twitter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I'm not teaching her to have a level swing, she doesn't have a level swing. Like I said many times in this thread, it's a cue I use to help her stay on top when she's getting under. And yes many times we have talked about getting behind and through. With her thinking level helps her get behind most pitches in Fastpitch, rise and drop.

How do you teach your students to get behind the ball? can a hitter who has .4 seconds to react determine the break on a ball out off the pitchers hands? I think not. Maybe at the lower levels. So with my DD thinking level (not doing, thinking) helps her get to all balls, drop and rise.

You keep referring to a 'level swing' and I wonder if you might actually mean something else.

You seem to be using this 'level swing' cue early in the swing ... as at or near 'swing launch'. I wonder if you truly mean 'level swing', or perhaps mean something more like 'level hands' ... or more in-line with how Bonds viewed the swing of "hands stay up" at that point in the 'swing'.

If so ... you are simply using it as a hand-path cue ... and don't truly mean 'level swing'.

Just a guess based on trying to interpret your posts.

Apr 11, 2015
I'm not teaching her to have a level swing, she doesn't have a level swing. Like I said many times in this thread, it's a cue I use to help her stay on top when she's getting under. And yes many times we have talked about getting behind and through. With her thinking level helps her get behind most pitches in Fastpitch, rise and drop.
OK, you still kind of lost me here as to the reason for what I'd consider conflicting cues. Because with "level", you really can't get "behind" a ball...at least not how I'm picturing what you're saying, and/or how I'd teach things. But that's cool, not saying what you're doing is wrong or won't work...just not 100% positive if our definitions of "level" (or even "behind") are the same simply due to the written format we're using here.

How do you teach your students to get behind the ball? can a hitter who has .4 seconds to react determine the break on a ball out off the pitchers hands? I think not. Maybe at the lower levels. So with my DD thinking level (not doing, thinking) helps her get to all balls, drop and rise.
We'll I'm sure it's not a secret any longer (or shouldn't be anyway), that I use "TTB to/towards the ball at swing launch" as my main cue if you will...to get the barrel "behind" the ball ASAP on the way to impact with it. This is one sudden move of "swinging" the f'n bat at the ball as soon the hitter decides if a pitch is hittable enough for what s/he's looking to do with it. I'll just leave it at that for now as to not stir up to much controversy, and maybe have pattar turnaround, and head back into the room. :D

May 12, 2016
Reaction time for average D1 pitcher (say 65 mph) and an average MLB pitcher say 90 to 92 mph is pretty much the same. Also I didn't say you could wait a long time I said the longer you can wait the better...:cool:

How long does a batter with average bat speed facing a avg D1 pitcher (65 mph) have to recognize the pitch and get behind and through it when the pitch is breaking. Whether you believe the rise ball drops or rises.. there is an extreme plane difference between a drop ball and a rise ball.

Jun 8, 2016
How long does a batter with average bat speed facing a avg D1 pitcher (65 mph) have to recognize the pitch and get behind and through it when the pitch is breaking. Whether you believe the rise ball drops or rises.. there is an extreme plane difference between a drop ball and a rise ball.

I am not sure what we are arguing about (no big deal..this happens at home every day :rolleyes: ) however if it is the idea that you don't think being able to wait longer helps a hitter than answer this question for me. Why do most (if not all hitters) get worse as they get beyond a certain age? You think they forget how to hit or their mechanics breaks down?

May 12, 2016
OK, you still kind of lost me here as to the reason for what I'd consider conflicting cues. Because with "level", you really can't get "behind" a ball...at least not how I'm picturing what you're saying, and/or how I'd teach things. But that's cool, not saying what you're doing is wrong or won't work...just not 100% positive if our definitions of "level" (or even "behind") are the same simply due to the written format we're using here.
That's ok, you don't understand, np. No different than Pujois saying he chops down on the ball in his Demo. He uses several cues in his interview that doesn't correlate to the swing he takes in a game. Can you get behind and through the ball by chopping down on it.. no of course not. But it works for him. So why is it so hard to understand that this cue helps my DD get behind the ball.

We'll I'm sure it's not a secret any longer (or shouldn't be anyway), that I use "TTB to/towards the ball at swing launch" as my main cue if you will...to get the barrel "behind" the ball ASAP on the way to impact with it. This is one sudden move of "swinging" the f'n bat at the ball as soon the hitter decides if a pitch is hittable enough for what s/he's looking to do with it. I'll just leave it at that for now as to not stir up to much controversy, and maybe have pattar turnaround, and head back into the room. :D
TTB .. so at the moment a hitter TTB he knows exactly where the ball is breaking allowing him to get behind and through the ball... there is no adjustment?

Jun 8, 2016
TTB .. so at the moment a hitter TTB he knows exactly where the ball is breaking allowing him to get behind and through the ball... there is no adjustment?

[video]
imgYMH2.gif
[/video]

May 12, 2016
I am not sure what we are arguing about (no big deal..this happens at home every day :rolleyes: ) however if it is the idea that you don't think being able to wait longer helps a hitter than answer this question for me. Why do most (if not all hitters) get worse as they get beyond a certain age? You think they forget how to hit or their mechanics breaks down?

I never said there isn't an advantage to waiting and seeing where the ball will end up before swing..aka waiting :). I never said that all. I am asking you how long.. see question below again.

"How long does a batter with average bat speed facing a avg D1 pitcher (65 mph) have to recognize the pitch and get behind and through it when the pitch is breaking. Whether you believe the rise ball drops or rises.. there is an extreme plane difference between a drop ball and a rise ball."

I'm not arguing.. it's all good. I hope I didn't offend you.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd