The Kaylee Carlson thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2016
I’m curious what advantage jumping outside of the pitching lane gives. (I’m not arguing at all that it should be allowed or ignored. I know that my DD pitches better when her drive is on the power line, so I’m honestly curious.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 11, 2010
I’m curious what advantage jumping outside of the pitching lane gives. (I’m not arguing at all that it should be allowed or ignored. I know that my DD pitches better when her drive is on the power line, so I’m honestly curious.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some think it creates angles that give the pitcher competitive advantage.

Humes has been doing very well. Very good pitcher.

Sep 10, 2013
the commentators were talking about carlson's stride outside the box, but that quickly faded. maybe they were told to hush shus?

are the UMPS told to not call IP's when it's at team's home field?

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I thought that was interesting how they started talking about it, and then after the 1st inning when the line was obliterated and you could see her foot landing even farther away, there was no more talk of this.

Dec 11, 2010
https://[URL=https://s1279.photobucket.com/user/thulenc11/media/CBC2C0F5-E48A-4320-80F4-89911395591A_zpsw90cuoa8.jpg.html] [/URL]

Slapper called out by home plate ump after hitting foul ball. Pretty sure Murphy was arguing that the IP should have been called before calling the hitters foot out of box. Oh, the irony, lol.

It does seem like it would be pretty hard to call, gosh there is no line AND the left edge of the pitchers plate has dirt on it. Even a very experienced ump wouldn’t be able to call that, after all it would be Pure Speculation lol.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
I really prefer a power hitting lineup but high level slapping is a very interesting part of the game. They are in effect removing and entire aspect of the game.

Aug 21, 2008
westwind, this is a tough one. The umpire behind the dish has to see the slapper's foot, the pitcher in the lane, AND judge balls and strikes. It's hard to say if the 1st or 3rd base umps have the angle to see the pitcher but they should be seeing the slapper out of the box, no? I know I will probably be in the minority again but, the slapper rule is a good one. I never understood the rule about the pitching lane. Striding sideways does not provide an advantage. Yea, I know... people will say it helps the screwball, or whatever. But the ball still has to cross the plate in the zone. So, how does that help it? I think the umpire's zones (in what few games I've seen) have been very suspect at best because they are watching too many things other than if it's a strike or ball. BTW, that was Autumn Humes. I only saw the first picture in a reply and didn't see Autumn doing her walk through warm up. I watched that game on Youtube (thank you for the link) and she did great, I thought. Kept the ball down and kept Auburn scoreless for 13 innings. Of course, Auburn's pitcher also threw 13 scoreless but I suspect Auburn has a better line up than KY, wouldn't they? And Auburn's new hitting coach is a former teammate/opponent of mine, Eddy Kettlehut. He's going to help Auburn when he gets some time in there.

Bill

Dec 11, 2010
Bill- I have to tell you, it really doesn’t seem like opposing coaches or the pitching experts (I’m not one) have their undies in a bundle over the pitching lane. That must mean something! Just like you, they must not think it is all that big of a deal....

Oh well, the ordinary fans like me have to have something to fuss about, lol!

I have enjoyed watching Autumn pitch, and her story is a pretty cool one. I think she will be a big part of Kentucky in the future.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma