The Journey Begins

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Verbal cues are a very funny thing. If I tell my daughter (which I did all the time) to throw hard, she would just tighten up (hard apparently cued tight muscles).

So now the verbal instruction is too stay loose, throw fast, spin the ball.

Agreed.

"Long and Loose". "Whip it good" <--- She doesn't know Devo

May 20, 2019
A parent caught a couple cool game pics of DD this week. Laces forward thank god. Got some glove swim to work on it appears :)

Attachments

• received_2452790641622544.jpeg
    received_2452790641622544.jpeg
    762.4 KB · Views: 99
  • received_3109955232354784.jpeg
    received_3109955232354784.jpeg
    659.9 KB · Views: 101
May 20, 2019
Last nights practice session was much better. I think we have a drive mechanics issue. When she does walk through drills she has great velocity and control. Soon as she gets on the plate both suffer......

Nov 8, 2018
Last nights practice session was much better. I think we have a drive mechanics issue. When she does walk through drills she has great velocity and control. Soon as she gets on the plate both suffer......

Ha well that’s not that unusual. Honestly my dd is similar. It’s a timing issue. The inability to maximize leverage and her power while driving off the mound. Send videos and these cats can break it down for you.
You would think it would get better with a good drive. But if the arms are ahead of the legs power will suffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 20, 2019
She looks to be leaping a little. Pitched a lot better inning last night. Was sprinkling so wet ball plus tiny hands was causing some relase point issue's.

Nov 8, 2018
She looks to be leaping a little. Pitched a lot better inning last night. Was sprinkling so wet ball plus tiny hands was causing some relase point issue's.

Yeah she is airborne. Hard to generate power this way. My dd did this for awhile. Get her out of the habit now and you will be much happier.
Do dry drive drills focusing on reverse posture and toe drag. She wants to drive into the front side not land on it. When that goes away things will come together.

May 9, 2019

Your DD has the same exact leaping problem my DD has.
I've tried the dry pitches, and she stops leaping. Put the ball back in her hands, then she starts leaping again.
During our practice sessions now, everytime she leaps, I force her to do 10 dry pitches without leaping. Then put the ball back in her hand. Next time she leaps, then we go back to 10 dry pitches.

What I try to have her do to not leap is to keep her chin up and let her stride leg carry her forward. It's a very common problem so don't worry, I'm sure it will fix itself eventually.

She's gotten to the point where she can stay on the ground about 70% of the time during practices. Still leaping during games though.. The journey continues :)

Nov 8, 2018
Your DD has the same exact leaping problem my DD has.
I've tried the dry pitches, and she stops leaping. Put the ball back in her hands, then she starts leaping again.
During our practice sessions now, everytime she leaps, I force her to do 10 dry pitches without leaping. Then put the ball back in her hand. Next time she leaps, then we go back to 10 dry pitches.

What I try to have her do to not leap is to keep her chin up and let her stride leg carry her forward. It's a very common problem so don't worry, I'm sure it will fix itself eventually.

She's gotten to the point where she can stay on the ground about 70% of the time during practices. Still leaping during games though.. The journey continues :)

Hummingbird. I remember your dd. And the thread. I think I talked about dry pitching etc.

Try this. Have her do reverse posturing. Meaning, when she drives out have her shoot her hips forward and shoulders back. Back leg need to bend a little too. Do it without a ball. Then with.
Remember with a ball where she throws won’t matter now. It’s a drill to stay on the ground.
This has eliminated my dd leaping problem. It has changed everything from release point, accuracy, speed , soon etc etc.
sooner they stay in the ground the better. Reverse posturing.
Look up Rita Lynn on you tube. She teaches this. That is the only thing I thought was important from her. Her style is different than this forum. But that one thing. Did it. No more leaping.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying