The Journey Begins

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2019
It appears we are on the right path at least. I am learning a ton reading all these threads and watching Hillhouse videos. Any tips on how to cure monkey butt? Been telling her to try to stay "tall". Unfortunately it's either I teach her or I let her learn HE with the rest of the rec league girls and I dont feel that is the right path for us.

Nov 8, 2018
It appears we are on the right path at least. I am learning a ton reading all these threads and watching Hillhouse videos. Any tips on how to cure monkey butt? Been telling her to try to stay "tall". Unfortunately it's either I teach her or I let her learn HE with the rest of the rec league girls and I dont feel that is the right path for us.

Tell her to bring her hip to her hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2014
One day I'll break down and just make the video.......have her get into this position then have her pick up her back heel off the ground and turn get on her toe with shoelaces to the catcher she will actually feel her hips release she will stand just a little taller and she will decrease the monkey butt to actually help enable brush.

While cues can sometimes not be helpful the "drive straight and stand tall" cues do seem to help.

Just don't lose heart keep at it definately a marathon and not a sprint....and as far as acuracy do not worry too much until the basic mechanics are down...trying to get her to just throw strikes is a recipe for regression

May 20, 2019
Drag the back shoelaces towards the catcher and she'll close perfectly every time. It's that simple.

Bill
We had a few minutes this evening to work on this and wow what a difference. This is exactly the issue. Tremendous improvement in control already in just a quick 15 min session. There is hope after all :) Will take video during next session.

May 20, 2019
Fall rec ball has started and DD has completed her first ever inning of pitching last night. We certainly walked a bunch and beaned a couple but looking better each day. The coach (me) asked her after the game how she thought she did......was pleasantly surprised at her response. She said it's the best she ever pitched and cant wait till Thursdays game :)

May 20, 2019
We made an interesting discovery tonight during our backyard session. When she pitches with intent to throw hard she has way better control......it seems the intent to throw strikes is counterintuitive after all. Mechanics look way better when she throws hard. Way less monkey butt. Got the Hillhouse videos in the other day and they are fantastic. Thank you Bill!

Oct 4, 2018
The learning curve for pitching is interesting. Lots of improvement comes really quickly. It's fun to be a part of.

And yes, throwing slow on purpose in order to gain accuracy is bad bad bad. Throw hard.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
The learning curve for pitching is interesting. Lots of improvement comes really quickly. It's fun to be a part of.

And yes, throwing slow on purpose in order to gain accuracy is bad bad bad. Throw hard.

Verbal cues are a very funny thing. If I tell my daughter (which I did all the time) to throw hard, she would just tighten up (hard apparently cued tight muscles).

So now the verbal instruction is too stay loose, throw fast, spin the ball.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee