The Journey Begins

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2019
With season over and my DD moving up to 10u in the fall we save started her pitching journey. She has had a few lessons earlier this year from a fellow 12u rec coach who teaches HE method. I am a rec ball coach myself but a rookie and know nothing about Fastpith mechanics. Read thru I/R in the classroom thread and realized that is the way I want DD to pitch. Guess her and I will learn together as local PC's dont seem to be teaching I/R. Down the rabbit hole we go :)

Nov 8, 2018
It’s a journey for sure. Read all the sticky’s and read them again and again. Watched all you tube videos you can from mike ie javasource, Rick pauley, balswick etc. these guys are the patriarchs here. Anyway. Keep asking questions. And you’ll find your way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 20, 2019
My DD loves the game and understands the value of hard work. She has fantastic work ethic and never has to be asked to practice :) We have a long ways to go and we intend to enjoy the journey. Our first step is getting a good palm up at 9 o'clock established. Been working with the lock it in drill but still struggling with it yet. Gonna take lots of reps to get that motion en-grained good. I am assuming establishing proper posture and arm path would be proper before worrying about lower body mechanics?

Sep 29, 2014
and while you might get some push back IMO you would be assuming wrong. Drive mechanics is EXTREMELY important if her body isn't in the right position to throw the best arm circle in the world is going to struggle. It is a complete package, granted you don't want to put a whole bunch of stuff in her head at 10yr old but she needs to learn proper drive mechanic at the same time she is learning the proper arm circle. Easy thing is she can do this without a ball or a field, I haven't checked out the I/R thread in a while but hopefully it's in there if not search drive mechanics there are some really good threads in here about it. the sooner she learns to do things correctly the sooner she can begin getting reps in and ingraining muscle memory with proper mechanics.

May 20, 2019
and while you might get some push back IMO you would be assuming wrong. Drive mechanics is EXTREMELY important if her body isn't in the right position to throw the best arm circle in the world is going to struggle. It is a complete package, granted you don't want to put a whole bunch of stuff in her head at 10yr old but she needs to learn proper drive mechanic at the same time she is learning the proper arm circle. Easy thing is she can do this without a ball or a field, I haven't checked out the I/R thread in a while but hopefully it's in there if not search drive mechanics there are some really good threads in here about it. the sooner she learns to do things correctly the sooner she can begin getting reps in and ingraining muscle memory with proper mechanics.

I saw that javasource youtube had some drive mechanics videos on there. Will look at those tonight and try to incorporate.

May 20, 2019
She has been working hard lately and tonight we were working on drive mechanics. She is still flying open and not standing tall but better each day. Still havent found control yet but getting closer to throwing strikes anyway.

Nov 8, 2018
She may be flying open but the bigger issue is she is staying open. She opens at the right time but never closes back to 45. Which In her first video , where she wasn’t drink off the mound, she stayed facing pretty forward. Now that she is driving off she is opening up.
Get those laces forward and hips at 45 at release.
Oh. She is monkey butting. BIG TIME.
It’s a struggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478