The height requirement charts on the D1, D2 and D3 college softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Silicon5

softball mom
Apr 13, 2014
Silicon valley
Do the schools strictly adhere to the height charts for D1, D2 and D3 college softball players?

I am asking just for information purposes, since we have some players in our team that are excellent players but I don't see them growing too much to meet the college height requirements. That will be a shame if they are limited by their height but I guess it is also a safety thing so they don't get hurt.

My kids are too young still.
Thanks

Jan 25, 2011
Never heared that there was a height requirement? I have seen many small girls playing college softball.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Do the schools strictly adhere to the height charts for D1, D2 and D3 college softball players?
Is it is also a safety thing so they don't get hurt.

My kids are too young still.
Thanks

There are averages, and 'desires', preferences and so forth, but players range from 4'10" and upwards (maybe there are some even smaller out there). Some positions lean toward certain types of physical attributes, but if you can play, you can play. Especially once you get past the top traditional powerhouses where your elite, elite players get recruited.

If some 5'5" girl is throwing 70mph there isn't a program out there that would care that she isn't 5'9" or whatever some stupid chart says is the desired height.

Actually give me a 4'10" speedster slapper with moderate power. There are things a program can do with that player.

Also never forget that 'listed' height and actual height can vary from being correct all the way to being 3-4" shorter than listed. There isn't any official height measurement method teams are forced to use.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
I watched allot (too much according to DW) D1 SB playoffs this year and I feel that through ALL D1 (including the lower D1 conferences) there are a bunch of vertically-challenged pitchers out there. In fact I would challenge that percentage-wise there is equal representation for the heights of pitchers. I would dare to argue that vertically-challenged pitchers have better fight in them overall to start with!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My DWs niece was all of 5'-0" and played for Georgia Tech where she lead the team in several hitting categories and set several school records.

Angela Tincher 5'-7"
Lisa Fernandez 5'-6"
Amanda Scarborough 5'-6"

The list goes on...

Jun 7, 2013
The coach at our local high school likes tall players. In fact, his team is so tall that they would dwarf most college teams (even DI). This philosophy works against my 5'4" DD pitcher. Even though my daughter is a better pitcher, the coach put a 6' tall gal on JV instead of her hoping that she would develop into a Cat Osterman or something. It is ironic that his previous ace, who is pitching DII now, claims to 5'6" on her college program. This is an exaggeration of 1-2".

I've been up close and personal to enough college teams to know that the heights in the programs are often exaggerations. It seems that the women who are 5'6" or taller are more likely to have heights accurately recorded. Below that I have often seen height exaggerations of 2" or more.

May 17, 2012
Longer levers require more work.

There was a great stat somewhere about the number of MLB players that were under 6ft tall and a member of the 500 Home Run club.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1