The Fat Girl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
NO idea what size has to do with performance.
I was 117 pounds and a catcher in HS ... no one stole on me ... no one ever knoocked me over at the plate.

I've seen some players in 14U no more than 110 hitting rockets ...
"big girls" too ..
comes down to good mechanics ..

Watching any player any size do something good is a joy ...

two girls on my DD's team would call each other "chubby" turned out it was a sign they saw a "fat girl" .. can't tell you how disappointed in them I was.

My DD is #13 .. these girls told my DD that almost all the $13's they watched were "fat" ...
ummm ... my DD is 5'4" and 125 ..
nice .. even team mate not spared.

Teenage girls are some of the meanest creatures on earth ... cyber bullying, outright mean behavior is huge from 12-16 years old.

Boys don't behave that way ... they just don't.

Parents coaches just need to be aware/observant and "just say no".

Jun 13, 2010
Some of you understand this situation and some dont. First of all in the inital meeting there was just very few people around so it wasnt heard by many.
Also I dont get involved in any jokes like this it is all the girls. Plus this girl is always the one who iniatied any thing. These girls all made fun of each other, you had to see it I guess, they were, and still are very close to each other. It is not like it sounds and some like to read more into this and other things than there really is.

Despite what some may think it was not really a big deal. Some people get bent out of shape over things that are silly.

These girls called one girl "Pokey J" because she was so slow but was real skinny.
As far as the difference in a guys team they ALL call each other names of all kinds.

I would like to point out that I was just kind of rambling about the past, and was not bringing up anything I see as a problem.
I have nothing against any one but I see things as they are not as some think they should be.
This particular girl still lives here and thought most of the replys were ridiculous.

But she is a tell it like it is sort things dont bother her too much.
Kind of a good example I think.

I would like to also mention I am no skinny minnie my self.
I also carry an enormous Scar on my face from a Logging accident So I am not real pretty.
It was a bunch of girls who didnt even know me who gave me my name "That looks real wild coach how did you get that"? That was the first question I ever got from a softball player. I knew then that these were my kind of people.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
It shouldn't matter what a player's size is if they can play the game. Small players have some advantages over big players; big players have some advantages over small players.

I've seen small (skinny, even) players hit the ball over the fence with blinding bat speed. I've seen big players hit the ball over the fence with effortless swings.

A big person can actually be in better shape than a small person. Some of the strength programs I've used focus on building strength--not muscle. You can be big and not strong ; and you can be small and not strong.

It's what you bring to the game that counts!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff