The Fat Girl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2010
Several years ago I had a Short stop who was what every body called " A big girl" . Now she was really out their and would say " I'm a fat kid tell it like it is". Well we all had fun with her and made jokes but it was only within the team that it went on.
Now this girl may have been fat but man could she field and she had an absolute CANNON of an arm.
Well one day after practice she wanted to stay late with the first baseman and work on the "HOT STUFF" as she called the screaming grounders.

Well while we where practicing their were 3 girls out side the backstop cat calling and making fun of her, When I could ignore it no longer I invited them to the field.

I said to them" So you are making fun of her because you can obviously do it better than her, Because she's just a fat girl right"?

They stupidly said yes. I loaned them a glove and said " If you can out do her you have earned the right to call her anything you like.

The first girl saw the halfspeed grounder coming at her and promptly moved out of the way, letting it go into left field.

All three gave it a try much to their dismay they foud it more difficult than they ever thought possible.
Much to my suprise they all appolagized to her AND me and then wanted to Know if they could play next year.
I told them when and where to sign up and then said" Athletes and people come in all shapes and sizes Look past someones physical appearances Youll get along better"
These 4 girls became good freinds by the way.:cool:

Mar 15, 2010
I have posted previously that my DD falls into the larger girl category. About 3 months ago we were playing against a team with players and parents with zero social skills. When my DD came up to bat the other team started to Moo. Second pitch DD drove it over the left field fence. Shut up that crowd quick. Next two at bats they intentionally walked her. That was a very large tournament and since then have never had a problem with another team taunting her because of her size.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Several years ago I had a Short stop who was what every body called " A big girl" . Now she was really out their and would say " I'm a fat kid tell it like it is". Well we all had fun with her and made jokes but it was only within the team that it went on.

Are you kidding me? Is this a trend? Female Coaches, now fat girls. . .I seem also to remember a post about gender identity too. . .is this for real?

Someone send me a link of a good baseball site. Does this kind of discussion go on there? ;-(

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
oldman--the use of derogatory comments to someone by any player to another player on my team should not be tolerated.

pride, I understand where you are coming from. But, pretending that sports is a courteous exercise of sportsmanship is ignoring the truth. My DDs have been called crackers, dykes, fatties, cankles, b*tches, and w***es by players and fans from opposing teams. (I remember a sectional championship game where the fans were calling my DD a dyke while she was shooting free throws.)

If you're a good athlete, lesser teams and players will do anything to get you off your game. It is a tough world out there.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
Wow! Where do y'all play? Where are the officials when all this name-calling is going on? Names like some of those could easily progress into a riot!

I've been to many games in a variety of sports and I have witnessed some unsportsman-like behavior but the above behavior would not be tolerated.

I can't even imagine a scene like the first post! I've NEVER even heard of a case where someone would be so outwardly cruel and then join in a practice with the victim. That sounds really far-fetched.

...and w***es...

What is that?! My DD is what some might would call a "bigger girl", however, when she's on the bag or at bat, all you see are her thigh and calf muscles flexed hard and big! I'd much rather have a rock solid body style than some bean pole who might break when hit with a hard throw or batted ball. JMO - around here, those are fightin' words!! :)

Mar 13, 2010
I envy her. I was a big girl as a teenager, but had the best glove on the field. I was a brilliant first base. My coach didn't see it that way. I sat on the bench nearly every game, watching another (skinnier) girl drop ball after ball. In hindsight I should have moved associations, but I was stubborn.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
softballphreak: Oldest DD played in the D1 Mid-American Conference. Youngest DD played D3 hoops in the Midwest on a very good team. Youngest DD got the worst of it. The other team would send in a second string player to try to get my DD to take a swing at her so they would both get ejected. Please don't get me wrong--my DDs were not saints.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
LOL, I had another coach get on to me for being insensitive when I yelled to the outfield to "move back, she's a big girl." Well the girl was big boned but not what I would call fat, the kind of kid that belts balls to the fence. Code words were soon introduced.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283