The dreaded "F" word

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2018
I have always just paid for DD and if she wants to sell something then it's a go. I know most parents just sell the stuff for the kid but I make her do it to help out the "shyness" (for lack of better word at this time). Don't get me wrong it sucks when the team tells you that you have to buy so many SB squares or you have to sell this or that.

As for the comment up above about parents not being able to pay for their kid to me that was just rude and uncalled for. I for one have set down and talked to a few different clubs around us and talked to them about setting up a scholarship for the girls who can't afford to play. We all know how expensive it is for the kids to be out there and not every kid gets the opportunity to do so which to me is sad.

Starting next spring I will be planting a 1/2 acre of sweet corn for DD to pick and sell for her activities. Any money left over from it she can do with what she wants.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2015
Agree hate them, but we did sell laundry detergent a few times and that works well because its actually something people need and like around here so it's not so annoying.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JLF

Sep 18, 2017
Flipgive and Amazon affiliate.

People shop online so get them to help your team out while doing so.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
We have the absolute best fundraiser of all. We do concessions at Talladega for both races. Instead of being stuck in big concessions stands we have a tent that sells chicken fingers, fries, and drinks. We also have two bars selling mixed drinks and then about 10 beer sheds. All parents have to work or supply two people per day. We keep tips and get 10% of sales. We have not paid a dime other than travel or uniforms in years which says a lot when all of the showcases are $1000 and you pay $2000 for the top Triple Crown events.

It is actually a blast working the races.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
The best fundraisers are the one’s that require little or no financial investment and allow the kids to participate.

The two best that meet these parameters are car washes and coin collections at local businesses (pan handling). These fundraisers are pure profit with very very little money to get them up and running. We’ve raised $600-800 per car wash and around $1100-1200 per coin collection event.

Another “no money up front” event is a can/bottle redemption collection. We hold this event on our town green the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Folks drop off their cans and bottles and the girls sort/organize them. A redemption center then stops at the green with a big truck; they buy the returnables, load up the truck and drive away. You could easily raise another $600-800 from 8:00 am – 12 noon, depending on how well you promote the event.

All three of these events get the kids involved and require the parents to spend very little if anything at all.

We’ve also done the beer tasting event at a local micro brew. This event requires a lot of planning, parents to provide food for the buffet and a raffle. Parents also need to pay to get in. We’ve always raised in excess of $2500, and at times over $5000. For this type of return you need to push ticket sales and have an awesome raffle. Whenever we have these events I find myself spending well over $100 on food, tickets and raffle tickets….but the team could potentially make out very well.

Nov 18, 2013
My son’s football team is doing something new this year. They sent an email with an amount they need to raise and a link where we can donate. That’s it. No pressure, no door-to-door and I don’t have to buy a bunch of crap I don’t want! While I hate fundraisers as much as everybody else, I do see value in them. They can create a sense of making kids working and appreciating it more and they can promote team bonding. The problem is there’s too many, especially when you have more than one kid in sports.

These comments though, c’mon. Some parents rely on fundraisers. It’s not like they’re asking for handouts. We can’t seriously not allow kids to play if their parents can’t afford it without a little help. I’d also prefer they’re optional or have a buyout. If they’re mandatory though I’d be adamantly opposed to letting volunteer coaches or assistants off the hook. Special treatment is why we all hate Daddy ball. I appreciate all coaches do, but if they’re compensated have it be a nice big check, not their own set of rules.

Nov 18, 2013
We have the absolute best fundraiser of all. We do concessions at Talladega for both races. Instead of being stuck in big concessions stands we have a tent that sells chicken fingers, fries, and drinks. We also have two bars selling mixed drinks and then about 10 beer sheds. All parents have to work or supply two people per day. We keep tips and get 10% of sales. We have not paid a dime other than travel or uniforms in years which says a lot when all of the showcases are $1000 and you pay $2000 for the top Triple Crown events.

It is actually a blast working the races.

"Have to work"? Heck, you could charge people to work and still turn a bunch away!

Feb 14, 2014
Our biggest fundraiser with the lowest actual work has been a liquor basket raffle. Each set of parents (per player) provides a 750 ml + size bottle of branded liquor. Tickets are $5 or 5/$20. We made $3,000 a couple of months ago. This one relied strictly on parents selling though. We decided it was a little sketchy for the kids to do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for all the comments, I now have some great ideas to investigate. I do agree with most, fundraisers are not my favorite activity. I rather pay a fee up front but also realize that not all can afford to do that.
I'm just looking at other ways to help out in those situations.
As always, this forum has been a great source of information

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles