The Decline of Umpiring

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Has anyone counted how many umpires there are.
Or
Is there just more games and more fields creating demand.
Cuz definitely there are more games on fields.

Example
There is also a massive need for truck drivers.
As society has grown and expanded.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
How about this example
Alliance created more demand by starting up, creating opportunity for umpire jobs.

Because alliance are the same dates as already existing umpiring jobs.

Its not a decline.
Its growth!

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
Dont buy that for a penny.
Simply because
It's a job like many many other jobs that get the brunt of the Public's stuff.
~At least
Umpiring comes with authority.
Most of the time they are their own boss.
so its ok to scream and yell and abuse them??? Have you asked other umpires why there is a shortage? I ask them at every tournament and they say too many people yelling at them and cursing at them because they think a call was wrong. No one needs to hear that

Oct 16, 2019
The lack of new umpires can be attributed to many things, laziness and lack of responsibility of a younger generation are the two main factors, in my humble opinion. But I could be wrong...won't be the first time :)
Not hustling, and not having a great understanding of the rules are what can make any umpire, be a bad umpire.

Nov 4, 2015
There are umpires that are not good. They all want to get the call right. I think the answer is 2 fold. 1. We have to figure out how to give the new and inexperienced umpires a chance to learn without getting run off. No one is great at their job to start with. Need time for growth. 2. (and this goes along with 1) We need to figure out how to do away with the stigma of an umpire changing a call. Team a new umpire with a veteran that is good and allow them to change calls without coaches going crazy. In the past, if an umpire misses an obvious out/safe call at first, there really is no way to overturn it. You can question if a foot was on the base or if the ball was bobbled, but not out/safe. I don't want the out/safe to be something that is always allowed to be overturned, but while umpires are learning, I wish they would get together and allow the veteran to "coach" the person learning. Get the call right. But this would also have many coaches losing their mind.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
so its ok to scream and yell and abuse them??? Have you asked other umpires why there is a shortage? I ask them at every tournament and they say too many people yelling at them and cursing at them because they think a call was wrong. No one needs to hear that
Why would you even attach that to my post???
Did i say berate the umpires...
NO
Way to ignor the point within my post tho...

Post has to do with people and how people treat people. Umpires are people there are plenty of other people at other jobs that get berated by public stuff.
People still take those jobs!

Btw I have made other good feedback posts regarding the topic that I do not think as a decline of umpires... think more it is a growth of games and need for more umpires.
Called new opportunity because of growth.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2015
New England
Then why don't you become an umpire and show everyone how good you are and be a great example of a competent blue?

People get WAY to amped up on bad umpires. Who cares if an ump sucks? At least they're out there taking flak and letting all our "little susy's" play the game that they (and we) love.

All of these Hitten Kittens' sunday friendlies with bad umps mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. A bad ump never held a kid back from getting better at the game WHICH IS THE PURPOSE. In the games that matter, usually in the summer and for the big orgs, umpires will be better trained and more competent. At least that is my observation.

Perfectly said.

In 10 years of my daughter playing softball, she never complained about an umpire.

And while I've seen young players get visibly frustrated by a call, I can't remember one ever complaining about it after the game unless somebody brought it up or encouraged it. Young players just move on. So why can't parents and coaches let it go? Why do they care so much more about umpiring than their daughters? Because their agendas don't match.

If you really want to help kids through softball, there is a bigger need for umpires than coaches. But, of course, being an umpire doesn't allow you to get the same credit (real or perceived) or the same opportunity to live vicariously.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
My DD is currently a senior in college. I really don't want to miss anything while she is still involved. However, after she graduates, I'm considering options for a part time gig. I love softball and thought getting back into the sport as a umpire would be one way to enjoy the sport, share my knowledge of the game, and make some money. But I will be honest, before I sign up, I will weigh my options. A friend has offered me a part time job making $17/hour and essentially making my own schedule. I would be working mostly by myself doing physical labor. By comparison, I could be umpiring and dealing with all the parent BS that I have seen personally the last few years. I will be honest, unless the money is decent, I really don't think I want any part of that any more. I will still look into it when the time comes, but if you are asking why I am losing interest in an umpiring career. Parents... 100%.

Approximately 12 years ago I was asked to fill in as a ref in a 10u soccer game. No, I was not trained. I was a coach and didn't have a game that night, so the league president asked if I would help out. I accepted. Throughout the entire first half, a parent from the one team was completely abusive to myself and the other ref for the game. Just constant chatter. Again, this is 10u soccer... During half time I walked over to the gentleman, dropped my whistle at his feet, and stated "you can ref the second half", and walked away from him. When it was time for the 2nd half to begin, I noticed he hadn't moved, so I walked back over to him, picked up my whistle and stated "that's exactly what I expected".

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Work at home from your computer. But don't go on any chat forums cuz someone might chime at you. Yes this was snarky humor and now I'm off to my MRI to evaluate my crepitus wrist. Have a good day everyone! :)

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414