The DD and A.D.D.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
My DD is a pitcher with ADD and Impulse Control Disorder (she does things without thinking first) We tried everything prior to meds, she was in counceling, we restricted her diet, everything. Finallly the doc recommended that we try the meds and it has been a life saver. As you know, pitching is 90% mental and she was really having a rough time, but now she is the #1 on her team and is doing so much better.

I know you said you made sure she was getting enough sleep, but I thought that too. The meds can make it very difficult to sleep. One night I was sick and had to get up to go to the bathroom, probably around 2am, and she was up watching TV. I got really upset with her and she told me she does it every night and I had no idea because I was asleep. She had been running on 3 hours of sleep for weeks! Also, diet is huge! Limit the sugar, candy and sodas during the week and they are absolutely forbidden on tournament days, not even Powerade or Gatorade as they have sugar in them, she drinks water. It has made a HUGE difference in her sluggish performance. I wish you luck, raising an ADD kid is a tough road, but also a very rewarding one.

May 8, 2012
NJ
mylil32- funny you mentioned the tv...apparently our guilty pleasure was our ipod...in the middle of the night. We have since added a very small dose of melatonin at night (1/2 a pill, but not sure the pill dose). Since we've been taking it, DD says she no longer wakes up in the middle of the night and the ipod is always where it was last left.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Just thinking of this old thread. Unfortunately, ds has had a rough school year. Baseball (except batting and the occasional times he is catcher) has been really tough. When you have a kid that doesn't pay attention, what does a daddy ball coach do, put em in the outfield, or on the bench. What does a adhd kid do in the outfield or on the bench? Not focus on baseball. I don't blame the coaches (except the excessive bench time at 8u).
So he has an appointment. We can no longer see any alternative to meds, and I am finding lately that the success stories outnumber the problems. X (fingers crossed).

As a dad and coach, I have never hid my ADHD or the fact that I take meds for it.
I was diagnosed in my forties at the same DD3 was diagnosed (at the age of twelve). If anything, we have made it an inside joke.
"Hey coach ! Did you take your medicine today?" is often heard. It has made it much easier for my DD and one of her friends who also takes medication.
I am only on a lower dosage of Ritalyn, and I can testify to its effectiveness. I wish I had done this twenty years ago.

May 8, 2012
NJ
Redhot....trust me when I tell you that going on the meds was a very difficult choice for us...but ib the end it was the right choice...grades went way up. We have actually gotten to the point where we play rec without. Still use for travel though. She loves the game...focus isn't an issue. Playing without the meds does have one drawback...our thought process is hurried...we do things like think about the throw before we even have the ball. Learning to deal with the mental mistakes...its a learning process. Best of luck

In the past when I managed my boys rec BB team, I had the pleasure (honestly) of having a few boys on my team with some level of ADD. Each one had difficulty paying attention on the bases and it got worse when they were in the outfield but they all excelled as catchers... The constant interaction and being involved in every play did wonders.

You are really on to something there......DD3 Played catcher this year and had the best season she has ever had. DD1 who shows "minor" symptoms of ADHD excelled as a catcher (and played some at first). Another child on my ms team had a much more pronounced ADD. She took meds twice a day, I only played her at catcher and first.
Thankfully DD2 shows no ADD or ADHD symptoms, was a good pitcher early in her "career" now plays Centerfield.
As a coach you really have to know your players!

May 8, 2012
NJ
Since redhot brought this back up, I figure I may as well give an update on dd. I believe now that my thoughts on reaction times may have been off. We have grown about 4" during the off season and put on about 15lbs. Guessing what I was seeing was that awkwardness they go thru. We have mostly been ok reaction wise this year. Still using meds for school and travel, but go without for our rec league. Its her choice to play without during rec. It goes back basically to the earlier post I made about Carlos Ruiz and using Adderall. Our head is still in the game even without the meds...sometimes the thought process is a bit flawed, meaning were working a step ahead of what we should be doing. Overall, I'm happy with her decision to play without meds though, the mistakes she makes she understands in hindsight. She tries to force herself to slow things down..which is a skill she will need to develop for her future to help manage her issue.
I want to thank everyone who responded to this post...it was quite helpful to hear from others and to read their experiences. I hope others found it helpful also. This forum has the greatest people...and they all want to see the girls reach their max potential. I find that a very special trait.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Had first game since going on meds. How well he is playing baseball is least of my concern, but as the Dr. said, it is a perfect testing ground to see what is working and at what dosages. He was 180 degree turn around. Down and ready, glove out every single play. His emotions were much more level, and it was easy to see that he really enjoyed playing more than he ever has. Hopefully the success continues into the classroom.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I had a double handful of students that had ADD or ADHD. I found that the medication, amount of sleep and correct eating habits could ALL have an effect on how they were at lesson time.

What I also learned , at least with most of them, was making the lesson a game situation kept their focus better than anything else I tried. I called balls and strikes, if a runner stole a base, EVERYTHING THAT COULD HAPPEN IN A GAME. That worked very well for me.

I had one Dad get mad at me for asking if he ever had his daughter tested for ADHD. He called the academy owner the next day, demanded his money back and cussed me up one wall and down the other. Apperently he was offended that I even suggested his kid might be defective, (His words). I was as tacful as I could be.

I also found out how EASILY it is to distract a student with that disorder. A student taking hitting lessons in the next lane could be a HUGE distraction for them. I always tried to take the farthest lane away from anything else when it was possible.

A few parents told me they had gone to a different instructor before me and the instructor said he could not deal with it and cut her loose.

I had an employer who had ADD many years ago. That was ny first time working with or for someone that had it. I remember thinking back on a few students that I now suspect that probably did have it but were never diagnosed.

They are special and sometimes need a little extra 'Coaching', shall we say. They were all ready to put in 100 in a day if asked to, they all had the heart of a lion. Each one was an individual with a unique challenge ahead for me.

I remember one 8 year old that didnt get enough sleep and ate the wrong stuff the night before. Normally, as sweet as she could be. That day, the wicked witch of the West came out in her.

They are a challenge but when they go out and succeed, then you know you have done well and made a positive influence on a special kid. It's a special feeling of pride for instructor.

I enjoyed every one of them, even the ones that sent me home exhausted!!

May 8, 2012
NJ
Decided to post to this again to update on dd's progress. W:)ehad a great season other than the switch to lefty slap. That was a huge learning curve that we are still working on, but considering the huge change it is, did decent. Still made it to All-Stars in rec and held down SS which isn't a position we usually play these days. Got taken in by a local 18u team that has welcomed her with open arms and even got to suit up for them to courtesy run in a showcase. She was thrilled to play a part in their tourney. Think after everything that has happened, we are back on track for continued sucess.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles