Thanks everyone for sound advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2008
Late last fall/early winter I posted on here with a question about my DD moving to 16U as a pitcher with her team, even though she was eligible to stay in 14's.

Because of your advice, we did make the move, and we feel it was the best decision for her. More than half of her tournaments this year were 18U. She pitched against very, very good teams and did pretty well.

Because she played up, she was invited to play in the high school summer league on the high school team, playing against 16 other high schools. Our high school is in the top 2 teams every year in our district. It is a very hard team to get on, and is made up of girls from the top 2 travel teams in the area. And if we hadn't have played up, these travel teams wouldn't have seen what DD can do.

Well, after summer league, we headed off to our national tournament. When we got back, she went to the high school softball camp. Then took a week off.

Tryouts for the high school team started this week. And after they cut some sophmores and juniors from last years team to make room for 5 freshman, I am thrilled to say my daughter is one of the incoming freshman!!!!! As a matter of fact, 3 of the 5 were on my DD's team, that followed us in playing up, instead of staying in 14's.

So, THANK YOU to everyone who "guided" us in our decision. It was the right one for my daugher.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
Izzy's Dad: terrific job by the DD. Summer league ball is pretty good. DD had one of her 14U team mates leave her club ball team to play with the high school summer team. As a result, this girl will probably start as a freshman for this team located in northern NJ.

Congratulations.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Izzy's Dad, so glad to hear your story :)

She should have a lot of fun and have a much bigger challenge at the higher levels

Dec 4, 2010
That is a great story to hear.
My daughter who currently plays 12U, had a chance to practice and play in some 16U tournaments last fall and also continues to practice with a 16U team from time to time. She actually plays with more intensity and effort then with her 12U team.
I think that if given the right situation if they are playing up, girls (and boys) they will rise to the occasion.

Dec 19, 2008
Whole different game at 16u, isn't it?

It is a huge difference between 14U and 16/18U. My DD pitched against some very good "A" ball teams in both of those age groups. And while she didn't dominate them, she did learn how to pitch smarter. She basically pitched every other game this year, so she got lots of experience. She also plays 2nd, and this season has helped prepare her for hitting off of these varsity pitchers she will be facing this fall in high school.

Dec 19, 2008
Izzy's Dad: terrific job by the DD. Summer league ball is pretty good. DD had one of her 14U team mates leave her club ball team to play with the high school summer team. As a result, this girl will probably start as a freshman for this team located in northern NJ.

Congratulations.

My DD played on the summer HS league team and still stayed with her TB team as well. Now that HS ball has officially started, she can't play with TB team until after the season. But, 90% of her TB team is playing HS ball right now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA