Team Rules~No player/parent interaction at the ballpark

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2012
From warmup to post game recap sure. Between games I’m not in agreement especially if grandparents or the like are at only one game.
DD always hung out with teammates between games but checked in with us and saw her grandparents/uncles/cousins etc if they were there.

May 23, 2015
For more chit chat everybody
🙂 not a spotlight interrogation on Strike2 LOL just asking...

Do you think it could happen that the influence of Parental conversation could contribute to a players emotional or mental thinking between coming back from one game to another?

Or perhaps
that if the team stayed together during game breaks they could understand getting to know each other better and learn team unity?
1. Ive seen parents rip into their kids between games for a "bad performance" or mistake. Then same kid comes back the following game an emotional train wreck and the performance gets worse. So, Im guessing there are some kids that might appreciate the separation. There are other things too but that is one part that I remember vividly. Some parents just can't help themselves.

I guess it depends on the player/parent (and the coach!) And age.

I progressively removed myself more from the equation the more older/mature my daughter got. Yes, support her throughout it all, understanding that she's still growing and does need some guidance, but remembering that its HER journey.

The more I think about what that team is doing the more I like it.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
When I see the parents (Dugout Monkeys) hanging around the dugout, it grates on me like nails on chalkboard. I have to tell family members Do not talk to Megan in the on deck circle when she is playing. I try not to have eye contact with her. I treat her like a rabid dog until the games are over. However, there were times when the team was playing multiple back to back games and she was out of water in her cooler when I discreetly placed water at the dugout gate and walked away.

The players need to learn to become self sufficient as much as possible and to plan ahead. I love it when I tell her we are going to the store to pick up food and water. What do you want? Nothing. I'm not hungry. Well, guess what dumba$$! You will be starving in 5 hours and I am not buying anything from the concessions. Although the Scrapyard had a pretty decent pasta salad the players liked.

Aug 23, 2016
DD's team doesn't want players talking to their parents from warm up until the end of games, unless something is wrong. There are a couple of parents who still yell things out to their players through the fence.

DD does best when she knows we can see her, but we don't make our presence known. No cheering, no yelling. DD is okay with me speaking only if necessary (I keep score so every once in a while I have to speak to an ump or a coach). It works for her, and it's a reminder that we don't have to go out of our way for our kid to know we support her.

Oct 10, 2018
DD's teams since 12U had this rule - love it. Seems so immature to be running to mommy and daddy *during* a game and personally IMO it looks amateurish. They should be in the dugout and parents in their chairs and that's it during games. Kids should have water/snacks and whatever they need for the game with them. Between games kids disperse to families or hang with each other. JMO

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
DD's teams have always more or less been that way. only exception was putting on sun block, girl is 15 now and i still have to remind her.

Yup.

Sunscreen, medicine, nutrition.

Sorry, but parent interaction is needed quite often for those things. And coaches are thankful that parents are helping with this.

Oct 14, 2019
Yup.

Sunscreen, medicine, nutrition.

Sorry, but parent interaction is needed quite often for those things. And coaches are thankful that parents are helping with this.

Pretty sure the coaches aren’t carrying any “supplies” which the girls might need from time to time.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
For more chit chat everybody
🙂 not a spotlight interrogation on Strike2 LOL just asking...

Do you think it could happen that the influence of Parental conversation could contribute to a players emotional or mental thinking between coming back from one game to another?

Or perhaps
that if the team stayed together during game breaks they could understand getting to know each other better and learn team unity?

My kid hung out with the team at least as much as mom & dad, but it was her option. Being somewhat introverted, she might need some quiet moments to recharge. If she wanted something to eat or drink, she didn't have risk breaking overly restrictive coach rules to do so. On longer breaks, the whole team, including many parents, camped together or went to eat. Heck, even in D1 softball, I often see players talking to their parents during breaks between games. Not every parent is a nut case who is going to spend every game break berating their kid. Thankfully, most coaches aren't such control freaks.

Jun 11, 2013
I'm fine with from warmups to end of game. Even with back to back games. but if there is a real break of a game of 2 I wanted DD to have option of spending it how she wanted. Some kids like to get away from fields, some like to stay and watch, others like to sit in shade.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06