Team Rules~No player/parent interaction at the ballpark

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Know of a very successful travel ball coach who had this policy for the players on his team.
(When he started tb many years ago)
12u and older.

There would be no player to parent interaction at the Ballpark at all.
Players are to arrive ready to go for the day including a lunch box and all water Gatorade and such for the day.
No players going over to their parents after the game, nor talking to them during the game. There were no parents coming over and chatting with their kid during or after games or in between games.
Coach wanted players Full Focus and working on doing everything as one unit. Other than if there was an extreme injury, No breaking of this rule was obliged at all.

Any comments about this?
Does anybody have a team that is ran like this currently?

The travel ball team am speaking about had about 12 national championships through 18u in their first 15 years. The coach had more success following years and continues in softball to this day.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
USA
We had something similar at one point and frankly I like it. There has to be some flexibility at times though and that's where it gets tricky for some people.

Jun 8, 2016
Once pre-game starts I agree 100%. No interaction between games is a bit much I think but I would be fine with it
if that was the rule. I am assuming he/she doesn't allow cellphone use in between games either..:p

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021
I wouldn't be opposed to something like this but like Tatonka said there has to be some flexibility you would think. I know there were times when we had an 8am game and then not again until later in the afternoon, so the Coach or Coaches would be responsible for keeping all of the girls together and making sure they are fed/hydrated? Just curious on what his approach was to this.

Apr 1, 2017
100% agree during warmups/games. Seems a little extreme for between games, but assuming everyone knows the deal when they sign up, so go for it

As far as the national championships, could probably argue that had more to do with the level of players the coach was able to bring in and develop, regardless of whether they could see their parents in between games on a saturday.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
So who watched the players between games? Coaches?
Yes.
Coaching staff that included a team manager.

Should be noted , Players did not need to have a babysitter if they were sitting amongst themselves in a group.

Jun 20, 2015
the 'get out of my dugout' or "susie can get her own water", has happened more than once. Usually with girls / parents coming from orgs where anything was ok, versus more structured teams. And usually only happens once.

PS - and you don't want to see what happens with the dad that tries to insert himself and tries to call pitches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00