Team Rules~No player/parent interaction at the ballpark

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
So those mound visits in MLB by the pitching coach to talk about mechanics are all for naught?
imo
Coach taking trip out to the pitcher is simply a game break to change momentum and take a moment for the pitcher to settle down.

Aside of the professional MLB reference because that is very different than the majority of situations people talk about on this softball forum with young players who are developing.
Of which those conversations could include things like support.

Sep 15, 2015
Lol.............they are at times. To think that they never discuss mechanics shows a severe lack of knowledge. Either that or an acute inability to admit that your statement was wrong. Likely both.

I’ve often thought that there should be a standardized “get to know your pitcher” set of interview questions for whenever a coach gets a new pitcher—sort of like many structured workforce interviews where all the candidates for a job are asked the same basic questions during the hiring process. One module could cover this topic. Have you ever tried to make in-game mechanical adjustments? What were they? Did they work? All the time, or just some times? Did you think of the adjustment on you own, or was it suggested to you? Etc.

You might get no no meaningful answers, but my sense is that this subject can be highly pitcher specific and adjustment specific. Some athletes can’t change anything during a game. Some can. Some think they can but really can’t, and vice versa. And some can only change certain things (like how they throw one particular pitch). Coaches should know who falls into what what category and coach accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 17, 2012
Lol.............they are at times. To think that they never discuss mechanics shows a severe lack of knowledge. Either that or an acute inability to admit that your statement was wrong. Likely both.

I litterly have no idea what I am doing. When I am confused during games, which is often, I seek out parents in the stands to guide our team.

Jun 19, 2016
In general I think it is best not to coach your DD by the time they become a teenager. Focus on getting them stronger during the week.

So by 14U you shouldn't need to give your DD pitching advice during the game or really in between games ...even if you are the foremost expert on their pitching.

I have had some coaches approach me and ask me something about my daughter's pitching but it is usually much better if DD hears it from the coach and not me. As time goes on I have become much more taxi driver, financer, and cheerleader and less instructor/coach.

May 21, 2018
In general I think it is best not to coach your DD by the time they become a teenager.
Not arguing or even disagreeing, just curious why you think that? It seems many people do. Is there some kind of research out there to back this up? Based on your experience maybe? Or just an overall feeling?

Is this the case in other hobbies/activities? DD also plays percussion, and since I've been drumming for 30+ years, I sometimes give her pointers, or what I guess could be considered lessons from time to time. Same thing or not so much?

Jun 8, 2016
Not arguing or even disagreeing, just curious why you think that? It seems many people do. Is there some kind of research out there to back this up? Based on your experience maybe? Or just an overall feeling?

Is this the case in other hobbies/activities? DD also plays percussion, and since I've been drumming for 30+ years, I sometimes give her pointers, or what I guess could be considered lessons from time to time. Same thing or not so much?
In terms of instructing off the field, or on it if you are an official coach, that is going to depend on how a kid reacts to it. Some tune out their parents for everything once they get to a certain age.

In terms of coaching from the sidelines, I think it is along the lines of learning to let them "fight their own battles" but as I have mentioned in this thread there is wiggle room there to some extent. Any research on that is going to be related to how many kids nowadays don't have as many milestones along the way which make them feel as if they are growing up (being able to ride your bike outside of the neighborhood, etc,etc) or that kids undertake less benign activities where they are allowed to overcome fears/failures (taking a rope across a creek without your parents around, etc) on their own. All of which is perhaps only tangentially related to letting your kid succeed or fail on their own on the ballfield.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012

Do you do it during a concert or recital?

In golf or tennis coaching during a match is prohibited. Why is it that with baseball and softball parents feel the need to shout mechanical advice/tips/reminders during a game?

Coach her all you want during the week, no issues there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00