Team Rules~No player/parent interaction at the ballpark

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"
Part of your situation is that the coach allows you too be a helper coach. And part of that dilemma is that if all parents are able to be the helper coaches then you don't actually have coaches
you have parents running a team."

This is super common. Most teams have at least one dad involved. Somebody has to coach the team.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
In my case I am the coach, and normally that would be best to keep the team coach and parents/pitching coaches on the same page but lets be realistic here, most people do not communicate that well. I could not even get my kids parents to tell me when they were going to miss a game let alone talk about what they worked on last week with whoever was helping them pitch or hit.
Hearing that same sentiment from several of my coaching friends in softball.
It can come across as parent being detached from goals. While the coach is trying to develop them. Difficult without parent support on the homefront.

That and people aren't always the best planners which definitely can include communicating

May 21, 2018
"Would suggest in your situation for your daughter to talk to the coach and daughter to become familiar with her catchers. And share those keywords that might help her.

This ^^^^^ is what I meant. If you have a good enough relationship with coach to help out and warm pitchers up you should be able to tell him key words he could put to work. Would a cue coming from her coach be better than coming from you?
Probably. Maybe. I have no idea. When I say it, it works. I'm guessing if he said it would work just as well, but I can't make the guy say something. When the game is going he pretty intense, so I'm guessing he isn't thinking about it. It's literally just "shoulder back and down on the change" which comes from her pitching instructor.

Maybe I could try one the assistant coaches, but one of them has a DD who pitches, so he will probably try and SABATOGE DD and ruin her career, just to have his DD usurp her role as no. 1!!!!

Actually he's a great guy and I might talk to him about it.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
"
Part of your situation is that the coach allows you too be a helper coach. And part of that dilemma is that if all parents are able to be the helper coaches then you don't actually have coaches
you have parents running a team."

This is super common. Most teams have at least one dad involved. Somebody has to coach the team.
It's okay have helper coaches.

Except even in kiddie ball
can create dilemma
Gets worse in travel when it keeps happening.
When having parents who are helping at practice who are not coaching the team.
Can create whole bunch of helper coaches sitting in the stands & hovering The Dugout waiting their turn to comment during games.

What one parent sees another one doing they want to do themselves.
How come Joe can do that
I'm going to do it
can't stop me from doing it
coach allows him to do it
I'm going to do it, my daughter...
blah blah blah

People create their own circumstance

Jun 26, 2019
Hearing that same sentiment from several of my coaching friends in softball.
It can come across as parent being detached from goals. While the coach is trying to develop them. Difficult without parent support on the homefront.

That and people aren't always the best planners which definitely can include communicating
I have one girl on my team who is very talented, amazing attitude, thinks brilliantly at game speed at 9yo and is very very well composed. When I had a conversation with mom about her pitching mechanics mom who played at a high level herself didn’t know anything about why they had changed, just that she had been working with grandpa on pitching and said she didn’t take advice well from mom and dad but she would listen to grandpa. Looking back mom and dad were being very hands off for a good reason. Grandpa was talking to her breifly during a game from the sidelines and it definitely helped her. So, bottom line is every kid is different

Jul 19, 2021
It's cute that you think they are talking about mechanics during a mound visit.
Lol.............they are at times. To think that they never discuss mechanics shows a severe lack of knowledge. Either that or an acute inability to admit that your statement was wrong. Likely both.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00