Team Rules~No player/parent interaction at the ballpark

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
As with most things, there is more than one way to skin a cat. I have seen multiple highly successful teams and none of them have these policies so it's not as if he is successful BECAUSE of this policy as you would seemingly have us believe. He is successful because he gets good players...................that just so happen to adhere to his policies. Just like Tyson and Smith and Rico and other top coaches get good players............................. without the draconian policies Those kids are not flocking to your guy because of this policy, they want to play for him because of the exposure he gets them.
Tyson and Rico are just about polar opposite coaching styles. Neither is perfect. I would definitely choose one over the other. Although both can be successful, I would never want or allow my DD to get accustomed to a man or woman ranting and belittling and screaming at her. Parents need to consider the long-term mental health of their DDs while choosing a team/coach. Gratitude > Fear.

Oct 3, 2019
Yes.
Coaching staff that included a team manager.

Should be noted , Players did not need to have a babysitter if they were sitting amongst themselves in a group.
Well, we had girls who could drive, taking younger girls to lunch with them in their cars. This was a bit nerve wracking.

Apr 20, 2015
Is a one game game break away from the parents bad in your opinion?
Or do you think it is okay to have a one-game game break and keep the team together and not have them go off with their parent?

I’m probably just really jaded because of what I do. We do play for a national organization with many PGF championships and have for 6 yrs now so I know high level softball and understand everyone is different. Our team is extremely close and everyone hangs between games, long games we bbq as a team. There is little interaction with just one game break the girls go to the restroom, maybe grab a snack, treat an injury and then go warm up again so I don’t think that would red flag me but consistently denying interaction between parents and their children for entire days just red flags for me as potential grooming behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Our team is extremely close and everyone hangs between games, long games we bbq as a team. There is little interaction with just one game break the girls go to the restroom, maybe grab a snack, treat an injury and then go warm up again so I don’t think that would red flag me
While I prefer that type of Team dynamic and it's nice that can happen without having it be regulated,
there are teams that absolutely do not act like a team once they step off the field. (* even parents who do not act like a team when they're in the stands watching during game time and spread around the ballpark)

Perhaps...The root question to this discussion May Simply be what folks think about
~is there any importance to a team growing to know each other better and creating some group continuity that can carry over onto the field?!
That they do things as a team while they are in front of other teams and in between games staying as a team.

imo do believe there's something to be said for keeping a team dynamic together.
think the example of how @ang2bmd team Dynamic everyone gets along is an added bonus.
But what about groups that do not have that type of continuity?!What about the teams/players that change every year. Players have to figure out their social status Comfort within a new group . Perhaps it can be supported to help grow a more group cohesive supportive atmosphere. In this way establish positive reinforcement that is gained by staying together as a group that carries over as a team on the field.

*while i am NOT advocating anybody mandatorily coach a certain way.
Do tink there is some relevance in having a standard where we stay together as our team unit.
🙂 Even though we may not like every player on the team, we develop the ability to tolerate and in that way maybe gain understanding and figure out how we actually can get along for the same common purpose of the team.

For those who want to go off and play in college that skill is going to be very helpful!
Even suggest that could also be helpful in other life environments that we are going to encounter as we become adults.
...like parents in the stands.

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
I am fine with this if the team is feeding them, and keeping them hydrated, and providing supervision between games. I'd happily pay for this logistical service. Having 15 lunch boxes (who only eats "lunch" at tournaments?) and 15 coolers behind the dugout is stupid and impractical.

Lots of high level organizations sending kids to P5 programs every year without treating parents like pariahs.

There is no secret ingredient.

Jun 8, 2016
Not that I think knowing each other like the back of your hand is all that important, but if this is the type of team that never practices together, then I can perhaps see spending a bit more time with your teammates than a team that practices together a few times a week.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Not that I think knowing each other like the back of your hand is all that important, but if this is the type of team that never practices together, then I can perhaps see spending a bit more time with your teammates than a team that practices together a few times a week.
That is a really good point to add. Particularly because 16u and 18u teams don't always have a lot of practices and they do go 'dark' for the school year.

May 9, 2017
Know of a very successful travel ball coach who had this policy for the players on his team.
(When he started tb many years ago)
12u and older.

There would be no player to parent interaction at the Ballpark at all.
Players are to arrive ready to go for the day including a lunch box and all water Gatorade and such for the day.
No players going over to their parents after the game, nor talking to them during the game. There were no parents coming over and chatting with their kid during or after games or in between games.
Coach wanted players Full Focus and working on doing everything as one unit. Other than if there was an extreme injury, No breaking of this rule was obliged at all.

Any comments about this?
Does anybody have a team that is ran like this currently?

The travel ball team am speaking about had about 12 national championships through 18u in their first 15 years. The coach had more success following years and continues in softball to this day.
I’ve coached my daughter almost every season except when she was briefly on a TB team but I’m kinda torn on the rules you’re describing. I’ve personally never had an issue with parents talking to the players during games as long as it’s reasonable. At times I’ve had to ask parents to leave the area because they were trying to “coach” the player during warmups or getting them worked up during games for making mistakes. When mine was on the TB team I stood back and didn’t watch warmups and such but turns out there were a couple incidents where the coach actually broke a fungo when he got mad. Personally I wouldn’t have her on a team like that because I like to know what they’re teaching her so I can reinforce those instructions at home and during our rec practices. Full disclosure, the TB team she was on for a short period of time was odd because the coaches didn’t really coach during the game or make adjustments and I actually had to tell the pitcher to cover home halfway through the second game of the tournament when I couldn’t keep quiet any longer

Jun 27, 2021
Know of a very successful travel ball coach who had this policy for the players on his team.
(When he started tb many years ago)
12u and older.

There would be no player to parent interaction at the Ballpark at all.
Players are to arrive ready to go for the day including a lunch box and all water Gatorade and such for the day.
No players going over to their parents after the game, nor talking to them during the game. There were no parents coming over and chatting with their kid during or after games or in between games.
Coach wanted players Full Focus and working on doing everything as one unit. Other than if there was an extreme injury, No breaking of this rule was obliged at all.

Any comments about this?
Does anybody have a team that is ran like this currently?

The travel ball team am speaking about had about 12 national championships through 18u in their first 15 years. The coach had more success following years and continues in softball to this day.
Not a fan of the old school micromanaging approach. The game, player and times have evolved. Not discrediting this coaches resume as I'm sure he produced talent coast to coast. I'm for players once they enter the gate they are in team mode and less parents to to shut off is much. I'll never be onboard with parents laying into their kid during or in-between games. For the record I'm not a fan of making tictok videos in-between games either. If there is a sweet spot in-between focus, relaxing and a little bit of laughter that is where I am.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi