Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
1661401465947.gif

Do you see that here. Throw the head. Staying closed and using your top hand gives you the energy transfer needed. No mea culpa.

Attachments

• 1661402428324.gif
    1661402428324.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Reactions: TDS
Oct 2, 2017
View attachment 26331

Do you see that here. Throw the head. Staying closed and using your top hand gives you the energy transfer needed. No mea culpa.

So Albert says to stay closed, but then proceeds to open up when he swings the bat. 🤷‍♂️ Unless he means that as a mental cue to not open up "early".

I personally see it as he is not staying closed and dragging the knob across even though he may be thinking mentally as knob to the ball.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So Albert says to stay closed, but then proceeds to open up when he swings the bat. 🤷‍♂️ Unless he means that as a mental cue to not open up "early".

I personally see it as he is not staying closed and dragging the knob across even though he may be thinking mentally as knob to the ball.

If you keep the shoulder closed, basically hitting/swinging against it, this helps fling the barrel forward. The core needs to be tightened from both ends. If you listen and look carefully to AP in the tweet he says what I’m saying.

You might see opening. But they’re trying to stay closed. Look for the shoulder moving after the hands. Also look for adduction . It’s there in every great hitter. This lets the core pull the shoulders around. That’s how you ‘pull’ hit. Not slice or drag/inside out it.

When you understand it you will see the moment of quickness is at ‘shoulder rotation’ not the barrel turning. That is a wild goose chase that has fooled too many.

How many pros have we posted/seen saying the same thing? They really don’t know what they do? Come on. Silly cop out by the snake oil salesmen aka hitting gurus. They just don’t understand. Let common sense and your eyes be your guide.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
It’s all right in the AP tweet. He addresses getting forward. He wants to back the ball up and whip the barrel. ‘That’s it’ he says. It’s pretty much athleticism, reaction and recall from there. You don’t make up mechanics bc you’re not athletic. You do what the best do and let the chips fall where they may. Not everyone can compete at this level. And that’s ok.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The premise is correct, everything sets up the hands. You are coiled and stretched and ready to swing. The hands command the body as it is ready to burst because the body is ready for the hands.
Most of the coaches from that era in my area preached hands. "Hands to the ball", "keep your hands back", and "hands are the trigger" were all common cues. Instruction was not as detailed as it is today and we did not use slow motion video or the other gadgets that are available today. The majority of the training was about timing and using the hands.

May 7, 2015
SoCal

IMO, this is an inside pitch based upon reading the catcher and where the glove is postioned.. I would think that on opening maybe a little early can be attributed to pitch location??

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Most of the coaches from that era in my area preached hands. "Hands to the ball", "keep your hands back", and "hands are the trigger" were all common cues. Instruction was not as detailed as it is today and we did not use slow motion video or the other gadgets that are available today. The majority of the training was about timing and using the hands.
Video for both learning and teaching IMO is a game changer. A player makes an adjustment and says , I don’t know what I did but it felt different. With video you can capture and see that moment in time. The learning process takes place on a different level. I video every lesson I do that and break it down with the student while in the lesson, so she can continue to adjust and apply things. Nothing unique but the ability to do that is…video capture 30 years ago when my kids were playing sports was unheard of.
Win - Win for sure

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
How many pros have we posted/seen saying the same thing? They really don’t know what they do?

My issue with this argument is that their game swings look completely and totally different than whatever they're doing when they're demonstrating/explaining.

Like, night and day different. Almost no aspect of the swing looks even similar.

And none of them have ever seemed to even try to explain why that is.

I also go back to this: There are likely hundreds, maybe thousands, of very good softball pitchers who explain pitching exactly wrong. That's not even up for debate at this point. So if it happens there, why can't that happen with hitters, too?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi