Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
It’s all right in the AP tweet. He addresses getting forward. He wants to back the ball up and whip the barrel. ‘That’s it’ he says. It’s pretty much athleticism, reaction and recall from there. You don’t make up mechanics bc you’re not athletic. You do what the best do and let the chips fall where they may. Not everyone can compete at this level. And that’s ok.
Tell it to Arron Judge

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
My issue with this argument is that their game swings look completely and totally different than whatever they're doing when they're demonstrating/explaining.

Like, night and day different. Almost no aspect of the swing looks even similar.

And none of them have ever seemed to even try to explain why that is.

I also go back to this: There are likely hundreds, maybe thousands, of very good softball pitchers who explain pitching exactly wrong. That's not even up for debate at this point. So if it happens there, why can't that happen with hitters, too?

My best advice to you would be to stop thinking these guys are clueless. Try what they say. There was a post about exaggerating feels earlier? Maybe the same applies? When a timed ball in space becomes the goal maybe these mechanics/feels shrink to the goal?

As far as taking the knob to the ball it’s in APs swing. As far as backing the ball up, it’s there. As far as staying closed, it’s there. So what’s up for debate? Bc they don’t stay closed until contact? Bc he doesn’t push the knob as far as his demo? Bc he gets the ball a bit out front sometimes?

Pitching has an element of control. So senses aren’t as keen. The goal is easier. Hit the spot, w some movement. Heck some pitchers just heave it in there. Maybe that’s why pitchers have a hard time speaking correctly about their mechanics? Ted said along time ago.. ‘pitchers are dumb.’ .. maybe he was right? Hitting is truly a reaction.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Tell it to Arron Judge

AJs swing is looking more traditional this season. And having his best season since he surprised everyone his rookie year. Good for him. We can all do the math..

AJ is one of the most athletic guys out there. He tips the scales in strength and stability. Two major factors in ball striking so I don’t know what you could possibly mean here.

As TM said before ‘I didn’t teach AJ power’.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
I have to jump in and get the vibe in how kids with super clean and fast hands play into this form?? I'm guessing it takes it to another level, or can make up for some mistake that takes place per swing? Sorry, rando question outta the blue.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
AJs swing is looking more traditional this season. And having his best season since he surprised everyone his rookie year. Good for him. We can all do the math..

AJ is one of the most athletic guys out there. He tips the scales in strength and stability. Two major factors in ball striking so I don’t know what you could possibly mean here.

As TM said before ‘I didn’t teach AJ power’.
AJ was failing at hitting before his agent asked Richard to meet him.

A couple of things HLP teaches but gets overlooked.
1. improved timing
2. hitting in a bigger zone with power
3. Quickness while being balanced
4. The ability to focus on the ball

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
I have to jump in and get the vibe in how kids with super clean and fast hands play into this form?? I'm guessing it takes it to another level, or can make up for some mistake that takes place per swing? Sorry, rando question outta the blue.
I could answer this so many ways and be totally wrong. A hitter with super clean fast hands should have an advantage? If you asking what to do with them as a starting point? I’d want them to get to a consistent launch position and I’d do that in my loading process with my triangle and back muscles. The take drill is a good start.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
AJ was failing at hitting before his agent asked Richard to meet him.

A couple of things HLP teaches but gets overlooked.
1. improved timing
2. hitting in a bigger zone with power
3. Quickness while being balanced
4. The ability to focus on the ball

I will say. Backing the ball up probably helped AJ the most when TM gotta a hold of him. 👍👍

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
I could answer this so many ways and be totally wrong. A hitter with super clean fast hands should have an advantage? If you asking what to do with them as a starting point? I’d want them to get to a consistent launch position and I’d do that in my loading process with my triangle and back muscles. The take drill is a good start.
1 million percent agree with your statement...I'm just asking, as a swing is NEVER 100% consistant whether it's triangle, tilt, legs, balance, etc... do you tend to see hitters with quick clean hands, save their butts more often? I know it's a big wide answer question🤷‍♂️

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
1 million percent agree with your statement...I'm just asking, as a swing is NEVER 100% consistant whether it's triangle, tilt, legs, balance, etc... do you tend to see hitters with quick clean hands, save their butts more often? I know it's a big wide answer question🤷‍♂️
A hitter with fast hands are usually a free swinger and probably allow the ball get deeper because of their quickness thus giving the look of saving their butts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole