Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2020
Here's what I think. TTB is getting you to activate your hands, they say turn them first and practice it but I've yet to see a game swing where that actually happens. I think WW and Mike's students who mash basically get to the same place but with different cues. I will happily have my DD practice snaps and helicopters if that will get her to release the barrel on time with the body/legs/core engaged.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Here's what I think. TTB is getting you to activate your hands, they say turn them first and practice it but I've yet to see a game swing where that actually happens. I think WW and Mike's students who mash basically get to the same place but with different cues. I will happily have my DD practice snaps and helicopters if that will get her to release the barrel on time with the body/legs/core engaged.

Just to be clear...Using the hands to TTB is initiating launch of the barrel. The hands aren't the first thing that moves in the entirety of a full swing sequence. There is already pre-launch movement underway.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm a little confused on the relationship between turning the barrel rearward (which shoots the knob of the bat skyward) and then subsequently rolling over the hands (i.e., pushing the top hand past the bottom hand at some point). Are those two things consistent with each other?

Using the line of the lead forearm as our reference point, the top hand should not be getting past the bottom hand prior to contact. Ideally, we want the bat to be a straight-line extension of the lead forearm at contact

Aug 20, 2020
Using the line of the lead forearm as our reference point, the top hand should not be getting past the bottom hand prior to contact. Ideally, we want the bat to be a straight-line extension of the lead forearm at contact

I fully agree with what you just said, but it seems that TTB would be counterproductive in creating a line between the lead forearm and bat.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I fully agree with what you just said, but it seems that TTB would be counterproductive in creating a line between the lead forearm and bat.

2 different points in the action. TTB is the launch. Blended movements of the hands and arms, connected to the turning torso, deliver the barrel to contact.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Yes. Altuve's turn is a bit deeper because he works more on/behind his rear hip, where Bregman works more in front of his rear hip. For both, the initiation of the barrel turn is happening as the hands are moving in connection with the rear shoulder (I've always liked the description from @redhotcoach - "shoulder delivers the hands").

No no no Eric. He’s tilted more bc he’s little and the pitch is a bit higher relative to him. Plus there’s movement. Deeper contact. So later committal. These to guys seem to use different approaches. One looks up and adjusts down the other looks down and adjusts up. Torso tilt is dictated by timing and pitch location NOT mechanics. You see mostly steep negative torso tilt during an inside/high fastball where a guy needs space quickly. Sometimes on a high pitch adjustment as well. I think approach shapes things. Adjustments from there give different looking results. Tilt is so variable in pro swings.

Once the front foot gets down adjustments can be made. Torso Tilt is on that list. Which is organic. It’s a space/depth maker. But most importantly it sets the swing plane for the pitch also organically. You will always see the hip line rise or lower due to pitch location. It’s also organic mainly bc the launch is from the middle of the body which starts the swing. Always look for the bb to turn/delay/down/up. All depends where it was to start. The hips will adjust accordingly. From the core but also the knees.

The core work in the 2 vids is undeniably obvious. Bergman is a bit early w his contraction. Altuve is a bit later after foot down.

This stuff isn’t half as hard as you guys make it out to be. Nothing manufactured. All organic. Due to what pitch they got from what they were looking for.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00