Teaching the high level pattern

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Looking at some of the videos of Maddie it looks to me like connection between the hands and shoulders is really good. Maybe I don’t see the actively turning the barrel with the hands. I don’t understand the take the arms out of it and use the hands to turn. I am seeing the hands staying connected to the rear shoulder. The initial tilt of the shoulders looks to have the hands And arms pretty quiet.
The hands connected to the rear shoulder is the goal.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
This gets back to the posture of the rear forearm gettin in to the V position at the shoulder . By doing that you take the arms out of the swing and use the tilt of the torso to help line up the hands. It’s quicker and more accurate this way.

If you take something away from the hitter, in this case the use of the arms to line up the hands, you have to replace what you took with something else or they will go back to using what you’re trying to change.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
What I see is her sinking into the flex of the front leg, but not letting her head/weight get ahead of the rear hip or lose her scap pullback. Being able to maintain her position over the rear hip while waiting on the ball means she can still execute the swing mechanics that work best for her. When she allows her head/weight to get ahead of the rear hip at launch, things don't work well for her.
The adjustment Maddie made to hit the change up is 100% on or with how I feel I adjusted when hitting offspeed. Front knee stays soft/bent and hands stay back - then boom.

Aug 20, 2017
Appreciate all the info Mike! Tons of good drills in those vids! Just curious but do you teach any low level players HLP? Just wondering how it translates for your average hitter.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Appreciate all the info Mike! Tons of good drills in those vids! Just curious but do you teach any low level players HLP? Just wondering how it translates for your average hitter.
Yes I do. Depends on the age and their body awareness and strength How much I can teach. I would do it slowly and gently.

Here is an example of teaching Kayden at 8U . Haley and her mom are also working out with us. You can see where her maturity is and the little instruction I’m giving her. I like them to learn out of a 45. She hit the whole season this way.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Hey CB,

I was wondering why you used this drill so much?
It is a decent way of teaching my players sequence. As I have posted before, the phrase I use the most is, "point the knob and deliver the barrel." If you note the first facet of the 3 steps in the WGD, that is what is happening as well as the "go" position. I have my players check their opening hips and hands back. At times, I might ask them if they were in that position where others might ask them if they were, "walking away from their hands." The second part of that drill we focus on the hands very slowly "coming off of the merry go round" and then the wrist action. My hitters are also asked to take note of what their lower body is doing. Then, the final part of that drill is to hit the ball attempting to "get it all right." It was a drill that my daughter did and she would do it on her own to try to figure out what her body was doing in the swing. In fact, she spent a lot of time doing it and really believed in the drill.

I hope that this answers your question. Heck, I'm sure that there are other ways to do what I do with this drill.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The adjustment Maddie made to hit the change up is 100% on or with how I feel I adjusted when hitting offspeed. Front knee stays soft/bent and hands stay back - then boom.

Here’s an adjustment to off speed. He manages to keep the snap.

giphy.gif

Never stop loading and on and around. Like they say, if your still pulling back or loading you can hit it hard.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Is Bregman TTB here? Is Altuve? They both look like they are; just not so far behind them.

Yes TTB.

It happens pretty fast. Pitch locations and timing play a part on how deep it looks when looking at video.

Bregman has a tight sequence. Sudden. I think he is a pull hitter, not sure. It just looks that way on video.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad