Teaching the bent-fingered rise and the up-and-in

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
First off I said "I(I) wouldn't consider that a change" nor would 99.9% of all, not just on this message board. No intentions of getting everyone on here to agree. But you are stuck in the illusion that 10u is the apex of softball. NEWS FLASH, it's not. 10u A, your world? Been there, done that just like many before me. One day you'll look back and say "I was little overboard at 10u, I really don't remember seeing many college coaches at our games". As far as TB/Rec debate, you can go anywhere in the country and find teams that call themselves Gold, A, Elite, or whatever adjective you want and come to find out they are no better than a "Rec" ball team. Don't get me wrong there are different levels of Rec ball. The ones that are just in for the kids to the ones that are actually really good, just don't travel. As far as my kid, she has placed top 10 at 18u Premier, played ASA Gold,.... she will pitching DI on the West Coast, that's all I'll say about her level of play. I've been where you are. Thinking our pitching coach's word was the gospel and finding it wasn't. Not saying Hal isn't a good coach. I have been to countless clinics and lessons, my kids, others on the team, some just to watch other instructors. I will say this, I listen to what everyone has to say and take what I like from each to find what's best for my kid. Do I think Hal make some good points, yes. But do I agree with all of them, no. And I wouldn't expect everyone to agree with my point of view(regardless of how right I am) that was a joke, in case you didn't realize. I've taken the road of listening and regurgitating, it doesn't work. Eventually will have to answer question that you can't because all of your info is from a book, not trial and error, not going out and verifying what you are being taught, not listening to advice and decifering what is best for your kid. If you can only listen to one perspective then you will have only one opinion. I question everything! Not because I don't believe something but because I want to know the one teaching has a clue.

My lack of a 10u DD? They don't stay that age forever.

Spoken like a parent whose been through the hard part of the mill. JO Softball.

The fun part comes in college when you sit back and watch. Enjoy every minute of it. The good, the bad and the ugly. Before you know it, it's over. You're sitting in the stands watching her throw the last pitch of her college career trying to hold back the tears after the completion of what feels like a life long journey.

Today my daughter ran into the mother of a girl we had on one of our 10U teams 8 years ago. The mom tells her the girl is looking into Ivy League schools. She wants to be a physicist. To see this girl at 10 years old you would never think it in a million years.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
First off I said "I(I) wouldn't consider that a change" nor would 99.9% of all, not just on this message board. No intentions of getting everyone on here to agree. But you are stuck in the illusion that 10u is the apex of softball. NEWS FLASH, it's not. 10u A, your world? Been there, done that just like many before me. One day you'll look back and say "I was little overboard at 10u, I really don't remember seeing many college coaches at our games". As far as TB/Rec debate, you can go anywhere in the country and find teams that call themselves Gold, A, Elite, or whatever adjective you want and come to find out they are no better than a "Rec" ball team. Don't get me wrong there are different levels of Rec ball. The ones that are just in for the kids to the ones that are actually really good, just don't travel. As far as my kid, she has placed top 10 at 18u Premier, played ASA Gold,.... she will pitching DI on the West Coast, that's all I'll say about her level of play. I've been where you are. Thinking our pitching coach's word was the gospel and finding it wasn't. Not saying Hal isn't a good coach. I have been to countless clinics and lessons, my kids, others on the team, some just to watch other instructors. I will say this, I listen to what everyone has to say and take what I like from each to find what's best for my kid. Do I think Hal make some good points, yes. But do I agree with all of them, no. And I wouldn't expect everyone to agree with my point of view(regardless of how right I am) that was a joke, in case you didn't realize. I've taken the road of listening and regurgitating, it doesn't work. Eventually will have to answer question that you can't because all of your info is from a book, not trial and error, not going out and verifying what you are being taught, not listening to advice and decifering what is best for your kid. If you can only listen to one perspective then you will have only one opinion. I question everything! Not because I don't believe something but because I want to know the one teaching has a clue.

My lack of a 10u DD? They don't stay that age forever.

Yep they grow up too fast... things change every year. NEWS FLASH it is the apex of My world, then it will be 12u then 14u ect... and when I look back, it will be watching my videos... You should have a boat load... love to see one. Congrats on your DD. Hope she does well, and you will share your experiences. I will admit that I'm not a West Coast Fan... they didn't do very good this year. You probably missed me adding the question about who you are picking to win it all this year? You seem to be college oriented... bet you can't guess who I'm picking... lol

You were lumping lots of levels into kids... seemed as thought you didn't know the difference. Not wanting to debate tb/rec just trying to get your understanding of your term kids.

As far as trial and error, you got me lumped as well as the kids, difference is you can read how I think...When you do, you'll know you were way off.

How is an awesome contributor on here. Due all honor and respect. You don't have to goat him, He gladly shares his stuff with all.

As far as me getting questions answered that's not in a book, I think you'll find me to be a member in good standing on this site, never breaking the rules I agreed to... and that I'll save lots of time and mistakes because of it, and have made a couple knowledgeable friends.

Enjoy PC

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2012
Spoken like a parent whose been through the hard part of the mill. JO Softball.

The fun part comes in college when you sit back and watch. Enjoy every minute of it. The good, the bad and the ugly. Before you know it, it's over. You're sitting in the stands watching her throw the last pitch of her college career trying to hold back the tears after the completion of what feels like a life long journey.

Today my daughter ran into the mother of a girl we had on one of our 10U teams 8 years ago. The mom tells her the girl is looking into Ivy League schools. She wants to be a physicist. To see this girl at 10 years old you would never think it in a million years.

Already looking for a hobby, lol. I tell everyone is/was the most stressful, happy, aggrevating, fun time and I will cry like a baby when it's over. So happy to see so many of the girls she grew up with getting to committ and sign.

Yeah, they learned to tie there shoes at 14 and then playing for Yale 5 years later. Who would have thunk it?

Dec 20, 2012
Yep they grow up too fast... things change every year. NEWS FLASH it is the apex of My world, then it will be 12u then 14u ect... and when I look back, it will be watching my videos... You should have a boat load... love to see one. Congrats on your DD. Hope she does well, and you will share your experiences. I will admit that I'm not a West Coast Fan... they didn't do very good this year. You probably missed me adding the question about who you are picking to win it all this year? You seem to be college oriented... bet you can't guess who I'm picking... lol

You were lumping lots of levels into kids... seemed as thought you didn't know the difference. Not wanting to debate tb/rec just trying to get your understanding of your term kids.

As far as trial and error, you got me lumped as well as the kids, difference is you can read how I think...When you do, you'll know you were way off.

How is an awesome contributor on here. Due all honor and respect. You don't have to goat him, He gladly shares his stuff with all.

As far as me getting questions answered that's not in a book, I think you'll find me to be a member in good standing on this site, never breaking the rules I agreed to... and that I'll save lots of time and mistakes because of it, and have made a couple knowledgeable friends.

Enjoy PC

I goat everyone, no disrespect to anyone. I like to debate, argue, pick brains.... I honestly do it all in good fun. My sense of humor just may not be funny to everyone.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I goat everyone, no disrespect to anyone. I like to debate, argue, pick brains.... I honestly do it all in good fun. My sense of humor just may not be funny to everyone.

Well then I'll have to like you because you didn't deny my term goat..... You'll be good on here. And you'll see (video), making my cases too...It's just that this topic is about the best book out there for young pitchers after they breeze the first level...DDs mom knows If she wants me to play, I have to enjoy the game too, she is buying the kindle version...just about everytime we read Hows book, we take off and stay gone for a while, out of her hair...

not everyone thinks I'm funny either. :{))

Feb 20, 2012
you don't need spin to make a rise go up. Havn't you ever heard of a New Zealand rise where the finger tip is on te ball and on the release you push with the index finger and open up the hand with a push. The ball will float up and is very hard to hit.

Feb 20, 2012
Marc what is a regular rise?
It is very hard to master the rise since it needs to be thrown step ladder, high vs low. It usually takes about 2 years to master a rise.

Feb 20, 2012
Hal, all the pitches are released in front of the hip. I use the tip of the index finger and put a lot of pressure on that finger so I can push the ball as I snap it. AS for the grip you were showing that looks to be a 2 seamer.
the question is how do you throw a low rise?

Feb 20, 2012
I don't know about that. From my perspective the best way to teach a rise is get the student to learn to spin the ball backward up close to the catcher or on the Knee.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi