Teaching Runners to Leave the Base?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 5, 2008
Anyone else find that some players don't have the "guts" to leave when they should on the rocker step because they actually have to start before the release of the ball?

I've seen some girls with speed take all their speed away because they have a tough time actually starting their motion when they're supposed to.

With the rocker, I leave at 12:00 at Softball_2 mentioned...some girls have an easier time with watching the pitchers stride like SBFAMILY said.

I've seen sneaky runners to the rocker most of the time, but on occasion when they steal, they set up in front and still leave at the same time. I know, it's cheating and super risky if you have an ump that happens to be on top of that stuff. Not something I'd personally do or teach, just something I've seen happen.

May 13, 2008
Anyone else find that some players don't have the "guts" to leave when they should on the rocker step because they actually have to start before the release of the ball?

I've seen some girls with speed take all their speed away because they have a tough time actually starting their motion when they're supposed to.

With the rocker, I leave at 12:00 at Softball_2 mentioned...some girls have an easier time with watching the pitchers stride like SBFAMILY said.

I've seen sneaky runners to the rocker most of the time, but on occasion when they steal, they set up in front and still leave at the same time. I know, it's cheating and super risky if you have an ump that happens to be on top of that stuff. Not something I'd personally do or teach, just something I've seen happen.

Absolutely! I have watched the fastest girls on the team get thrown out on a straight steal for the sole reason of not correctly timing when they get their lead. This is why I like the two whistle drill. Here is how I do it:

I pitch to a catcher with a whistle in my mouth. As soon as I release the ball I whistle. I have a coach watch the runner's feet and they blow their whistle when the runner's feet leave the bag. After just a couple of times doing the drill most of the girls can get the timing so that you hear both whistles simultaneously.

I know this is a repeat, but I really like this drill and do it every so often to reinforce the point.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
I know a VERY Good Div1 coach who agrees to take advantage of an umpire NOT watching and as much as I like her and her knowledge for the game, I personally do NOT agree with teaching girls to cheat! Its a morals thing for me. If you teach them to cheat in softball, then they learn its ok to cheat in life. I always enjoyed coaching softball because of the sportsmanship and ethics the girls play by, now we are teaching them to cheat? Really? I'd like to believe we need to change the morals of young kids in the country to care for others, NOT hurt others and play by the rules.

Jan 15, 2009
I think some kids you have to tell to leave early to get them to leave on time. The only way they will allow themselves to get a good lead is if they know that they coach is okay if they leave slightly early once in a while.

Ethically I'm not sure that exploring the umpires tolerance for leaving early is any different from the pitcher feeling out the strike zone. If Blue says that a ball 6" outside is a strike, then today 6" outside is a strike. As long as the umpires are consistent the game is fair.

I don't feel that way about games where there is only one umpire. We play a number of 1 umpire games in the summer and you could get away with murder if you wanted to in that situation leaving early. I don't endorse doing so, because in every game that really matters there will likely be two or more umpires and you should be playing the same way you would in your biggest game all the time.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
tc- my concern for teaching the girls right from wrong, vice "doing whatever it takes to win" ** I guess my thoughts are more about playing the game of softball is such a short lived experience, but after they are done playing, they too will teach to cheat, - umm..... cheating on your spouse ok too if they don't get caught? I know its extremes, but its still life lessons. Again, a much better coach then I (and I think the world of her), she also teaches to leave early when they can.. I just can't do that.... I want my girls that are asking me for recommendation letters and now young ladies in college and others becoming Moms to think of me in as much a positive way as possible.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Jimginas, when the umpire calls a low pitch a strike on your pitcher, do you correct the umpire and demand that he call it a ball?

Umpires are part of the game. It is up to them to call the game, and up to the players to play the game within the limits set by the umpire. Players have to learn to adjust their play to the umpires. This is part of every sport, and makes the game much more interesting.

In my experience, girls are more timid about breaking rules than boys. They tend not to want to break any rules and are afraid of "getting in trouble". You have to encourage girls that it is "OK" to make mistakes.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
Sluggers, please know I do appreciate your perspective and input and think its just a philosophy thing...... I understand your point, and I teach my girls to play very aggressively and we work drills for making them comfortable for being aggresive and I can live with making mistakes if we are aggressive, ("If we make a mistake, make it because you are going 100mph-being aggressive, but DON'T make a mistake being timid and bacuase you are afraid of making a mistake!")
----you have valid points that if we kept talking can be argued in your favor, its simply just an integrity thing for me.
Try and understand my perspective:
***** I preach integrity from the beginning of conditioning, I tell them their integrity is indicative of their character, they need to be honest with us, they need to have integrity - 5 years from know, we all remember those that do the right things vice those that didn't, so I CAN'T tell them how important integrity is to me, then go tell them cheat the rules if blue isn't looking.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
A player at any sport has to find out what the referees/umpires are calling during the game, and then adjust her game accordingly. The refs/umps are given a lot of discretion by the rules. It is up to a player to determine what his interpretation of the rules are.

My DD pitched at D1 in college. She never had an umpire that had the "rectangular strike zone" as set by the rules. So, under your philosophy, would you have told her not to adjust her pitches to the umpire's strike zone, because it would be unethical?

I had another DD who played hoops in college. She was a post player. At the end of the game, her waist would be covered with black and blue marks from pinches she got during the game. Would you suggest that she file a complaint with the league officials at the end of the game? Or would you suggest throwing an elbow when the officials heads were turned?

May 5, 2008
Sluggers - interesting point. Pitchers WILL pitch off the plate if they know the umpire will call it even though it's not "really" a strike. In that game it is. So I guess you're likening that to the leads...if in this game the umpire lets you leave slightly before release it's not "early" in that particular game...just as pitching a ball off the plate is not a "ball" in that particular game.

Still not sure I'd purposefully tell my players to leave crazy early, but interesting perspective.

If I know that the umpire is not in a great position to see the lead, I WILL encourage my runner to get a good lead and push the timing (not leave early, but make definitely make sure she's getting out on time) as she doesn't really have to worry about the umpire seeing her leave a hair of a second early if she happens to time it a little wrong. I don't want them being hesitant at all when I know they can get an on time lead without worrying about the umpire watching their every step. In other words I don't want them erring on the side of caution when I know it's not necessary.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13