Opportunities to play with older/better teams.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
A question I have been asked by parents through the years is whether their daughter should start out by playing baseball (we're talking rec here). I always tell them yes, provided she is not overwhelmed. In the half dozen cases where I have seen the player later on at 12 or 14U it seems to have paid off. I'm also sure there are instances where it didn't work out.

I have seen positive results in my region as well. From what I have seen locally, some coaches tend to coach boys completely differently than they coach girls. It's almost as if they assume the girls will not catch on as quickly. I think that is a mistake. Girls can learn the game just as quickly as the boys can if their coach trusts them and is good at teaching the game.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Here is a neat thing I just found cleaning out some storage boxes.
A get well card from a teammate.
Years apart...

California Raiders coach Phil Bruder and Colleen Silva in preparation for their team to play 18u Nationals
Had their team play up in a women's division one tournament.
They asked if I would come catch for the team in that tournament. I had just finished my fourth year at Long Beach State. And had schedule coming up a complete shoulder reconstructive surgery of my left shoulder my glove arm injured from diving so much. Gladly accepted the opportunity to play in the upcoming tournament before my surgery.

Over a matter of weeks practicing I got to know the players on the team and one of them was this pitcher named
Tiffany Boyd.
After the tournament and later after my surgery I received get well Cards & Gifts here is what Tiffany Boyd had wrote.
Dear Sue well I know you had a rough time with your operation but over 3 weeks we played together I learned how tough and what kind of fighter you are so I know you will get better. I just want to say thank you for sharing so much about your softball experience with me I know so much more about attitude and keeping things in their proper perspective thanks again hope to see you soon.

Here is a small example of the incredible softball career that she went on to have in college.
Screenshot_20220117-090234_Chrome.jpg
Good for you Tiffany Boyd!

it's amazing what softball can do! 👍💪🫀

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Phil Bruder is a hitting coach in central FL now.
Imagine that!
He was 'extremely' instrumental in getting girls travel ball going, including tournaments in other states.
(the beginning of travel ball as we know it)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414