Target Location by Catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
I had an interesting discussion with our AC coach yesterday after a game. Sat. this particular pitcher (first year 14u) was spot on, she hit the catcher's target most of the time. Yesterday, not so much. She was all over the place, low, high, right, left, on the ground, in the heavens. She was really giving the catcher a workout. On the occasion that she did throw a strike, it was normally down the middle. The catcher was normally giving the target a little off the plate on the outside. I don't think she hit it once.:)

Talking to the AC coach, he said the catcher needed to help the pitcher by setting up even more to the outside so she would not throw it down the middle. I thought I may have misheard him, so I asked him to repeat it. Yep, just what I thought he said. I told him if he would teach his pitchers to hit the target, there would not be any problems. We agreed to disagree, laughed and went on to the next subject.

Seriously though, is there any tricks of the trade to help the pitcher besides the pep talk, relax, have fun, focus, concentrate, find your groove, which our catcher did several times.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Sometimes, we just don't have it. I would have pulled her and asked if anything is wrong. (Did your dog die?) I wouldn't have let her struggle too long.

Did the coach ever call time and go out to the circle? Besides the catcher, were other infielders talking and trying to pep her up?

Did the pitcher ever grab her catcher and "warm up" again, to try and get her mechanics back?

One thing that I try to get a pitcher to do, is psyche up. Whether that is with a little run, or listen to her music or go see mom/dad (if they can pick her up, not ridicule her.) Other than that, pull her and tell her to move on. Tomorrow is another day.

Dec 7, 2011
Question - Is the catcher actually giving a target?

I only ask this because I have seen some catchers being told to not give anything away to the batter on pitch location until the very last second. I know this can really screw up the mind of a younger pitcher.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Question - Is the catcher actually giving a target?

I only ask this because I have seen some catchers being told to not give anything away to the batter on pitch location until the very last second. I know this can really screw up the mind of a younger pitcher.

Yes, she was giving a target. Our pitchers are not advance enough to not have one.

Amy, yes the coach came out and talked to her (in between innings too) and all the teammates were encouraging her. She just did not have it that game. It may have been because the temperature dropped 20 degrees from the day before, although she did put on a long sleeve shirt. Oh, she was the number 2 pitcher in this game and number 1 and 2 pitchers were not available.

The girls really did not have a place close by to warm up again. Of course, I don't think our coach would have thought about it anyway.

Feb 1, 2012
NJ
Being a bucket dad I can tell you that there just some days that they just don't have it. They look good they feel good they just have something off in there timing that makes them all messed up. One pitch they release to late, to early on the next one, off balance to the left on this pitch, to the right on the next one. These things are so small that they don't even feel it.

It is like having the shanks in golf. You don't know where they are coming from but you have them today, hopefully tomorrow you don't.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC