Tape over players name on uniform?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
I had two girls leave (read poached) my team after our last tournament. I had to find a pick up player to have enough girls to get us through this weekend. I ordered a uniform that was supposed to be delivered yesterday but received a call saying the vendor screwed up etc so now I don't have one. I had ordered extras with random numbers on them when I initially ordered but those have been all used up.

I am borrowing the jersey from one of the girls that left. Is it acceptable to just put tape over her name on the back of her jersey? Kind of a stupid question but reading the rules makes it sound like all the girls should be cut outs of each other. It is a USSSA state tournament if that info is needed.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
name doesn't matter only the numbers . Many don't even put names on line up cards in tourneys. I had two that had 3 on them in one ASA qualifier so we ended up with tape to make one a 13.

Jun 22, 2008
Name makes no difference on uniform, it is the number on the jersey and name and number on the lineup card. If an umpire is accepting lineup cards without names on it, they are setting themselves up for big problems. The rule book actually makes it so the name takes precedence over the number. I have had more than one occasion where the numbers were wrong but the name was right in a possible batting out of order situation. As it turned out, the names where right on the lineup, the coach had swapped numbers. And, depending on rule set, it could be first initial and last name, or in ASA it requires full first and last name to be on lineup card.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Been there and done that. Name does not mean anything so no tape is necessary. However, I would mention it at the plate meeting to avoid any confusion. I just got to OKC for the ASA Hall Of Fame Tournament and have 2 players with different names on their jersey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877