Taking back a student after they've seen another instructor?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Ronald McDonald will happily take somebody back after seeing the burger king. Sometimes you just don't know what you've got til it's gone

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
All kidding aside, jojo I wish you were in my area, most pcs teach hello elbow in my area, I haven't found one that teaches IR. DD's pc tore tricep from bone in high school due to hello elbow so she doesn't teach it but doesn't teach IR either. She was a very good DIII pitcher but teaches straight arm and I'm not sure she actually uses that?

Bama Slamer

Bucket Dad
Apr 15, 2012
South Alabama
Is It common practice for a PC to instruct to girls side by side in the same cage at the same time. It didn't start out that way but the second year it did and it seemed like we were only getting half the PS's attention for the same money. was I wrong in leaving I felt like I wasn't getting what I was paying for.

Jan 27, 2010
Frankly, this is a tough call to make whether you take the student back or not. I would most likely take her back once. I would lose a little respect for them but gain insight into the character of the person that I would be taking back. If the man were honest he would come to me and tell me they want to try another PC. I would encourage them to try someone else if they have doubt in what I am teaching their DD, but also remind them that the time slot they occupied may not be available when and if they were to return. Presently, I have a waiting list and I'd have one of those waiting for lessons take her time slot. Should they return, I would put them on the waiting list. On the other hand, if they were not upfront with me and lied to me about why they were not attending lessons any longer, I would only take them back once with conditions and if I have any available times. Life is too short to be aggrevated with people that can't make a decision. JMO

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Let's face it, for an inexperienced parent there is no rational way to pick a pitching coach. Even if you're reasonably happy with your choice, you don't know if it was the best choice unless you shop around a bit. I wouldn't take that as an insult. If someone picked you first, they are happy with you because they don't know any better. If someone shopped around and came back to you, they made an informed decision that you were the best.

Also, there's more to it than just pitching technique. Maybe they hope for someone with a lower rate, or someone who gives lessons on Sunday morning, or maybe their TB coach pressured them to go to someone else.

Oct 22, 2009
Let's face it, for an inexperienced parent there is no rational way to pick a pitching coach. Even if you're reasonably happy with your choice, you don't know if it was the best choice unless you shop around a bit. I wouldn't take that as an insult. If someone picked you first, they are happy with you because they don't know any better. If someone shopped around and came back to you, they made an informed decision that you were the best.

Also, there's more to it than just pitching technique. Maybe they hope for someone with a lower rate, or someone who gives lessons on Sunday morning, or maybe their TB coach pressured them to go to someone else.

I have had students leave me for other instructors before because of pressure from their teams coach. Usually each team has a PC and they are pretty much required to patronize them.
I have had some of my parents tell me this, the ones that put their foot down and said if you want my DD as a pitcher you have to accept the PC she currently uses.

I've had some leave because I won't teach them every pitch at 11 years old when they don't practice and cannot even control their fastball--those I don't mind losing. I've had a dad of a 9yr old leave me for this very reason. I would see her practicing later still 9 and he was calling out every pitch while she was throwing balls over the place--he was frustrated and yelling at her, she was crying--but hey, that's what he wanted.

I've had some leave because they want an indoor place because it's too hot to pitch outside.

My main problem is with the particular PC that works out of a sports building(batting cages). She is the one that takes most of my students by promising to teach them every pitch, telling them they won't be able to compete in high school if they don't learn every pitch as early as possible. But she doesn't care about their mechanics, she just wants to teach them pitches.

And around here, in the younger ages, pitchers are considered good by how many pitches they have and not if they can make any of them work.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Jojo, I'm not understanding your plight. You get paid for lessons and here is a customer. It doesn't matter what they have done, they are now willing to pay you for lessons. Also, if they left and then came back, potentially you have a drawing card to take pitchers away from the person you say is taking your students away from you. Therefore, this could be a great thing for you. Per retraining this pitcher, if they learned it the first time, did the drillwork and understand the drills, then this should not be a problem. In hitting, although I don't charge, I have this happen all the time. The idea for some is that I'm free and now they want to find a pro. LOL! I do my lessons a favors to friends and their children. So, this week, I will be "taking one back" that found out how green the grass was on the other side. I will help this young man and then encourage them to go elsewhere since I am doing this as a favor and not as a pro. BTW, if I decide to take money for my lessons, I'll take anyone and everyone no matter how many times they have gone elswhere. Money is money.

Apr 25, 2010
I've had some leave because they want an indoor place because it's too hot to pitch outside.

Seriously? And what conditions do they think little princess is going to pitch in during a game? Always a sunny, low humidity 65 degrees? No wonder kids are "soft" these days.

May 21, 2012
Seriously JoJo?? And that's not at you but the coach who teaches all different pitches without first being able to CONTROLL fastballs... I believe my DD's pitching coach ensures they are able to throw 7 out of 10 accurate fastpitches before moving them onto change-ups. And then they move forward after that... Who cares if you can throw the ball all different ways - it only matters if you can get them into the strike zone... Her coach is also a big believer in practicing in all different weather elements!!! Heat, rain, snow, sleet as you never know when you are going to face those elements... It sounds like you are the ideal pitching coach.. Please keep doing your thing...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd