Take the signal from the catcher standing in back of the pitching plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
Thanks very much. The next time we will address this by the batter controlling the pace as much as possible.

I did mention there was a pause after she stepped on the pitcher's plate. However it was so brief that she could not have reasonably received the signals in that time frame - it was a momentary pause. Also, her forward motion did not always completely stop during the pause.

Mar 8, 2012
One thing to note is that this is not universal for all rule sets. I know that Babe Ruth rules require that the pitcher take the signal with two feet on the pitchers plate. For the first offense the pitcher should be warned, the second offense the pitcher is removed from pitching for the game.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Thanks very much. The next time we will address this by the batter controlling the pace as much as possible.

I did mention there was a pause after she stepped on the pitcher's plate. However it was so brief that she could not have reasonably received the signals in that time frame - it was a momentary pause. Also, her forward motion did not always completely stop during the pause.

If her forward motion did not stop, then she didn't really pause, did she?

As has been stated, the pitcher can actually take her signal from anywhere, but once she steps on the pitcher's plate, she must pause and at least look at the catcher. This has nothing to do with actually taking the signal, it is to allow the batter to see that the pitcher is preparing to pitch.

Once the ball is returned to the pitcher, she has 20 seconds, by rule, to deliver the next pitch. The batter has 10 seconds to be set and ready in the box. These times are concurrent. If the batter is ready in 5 seconds, the pitcher still has 15 seconds to pitch. Yes, this doesn't sound like much time, but it can be an eternity for a batter waiting in the box. These are specific to ASA and NFHS. NCAA has a different time frame, as apparently do some of the other sanctioning bodies.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Also, the pitcher's hands must must be separated when she
steps on the rubber and in ASA both feet must be in contact with rubber. I am having a hard time recreating a pitcher that would not hesitate, if you have placed both feet on the rubber and brought the hands together.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
However it was so brief that she could not have reasonably received the signals in that time frame - it was a momentary pause.

You really need to get away from the "signals" issue. It is irrelevant. Even if an association has such a requirement, it is impossible to enforce. Unless you can read minds, there is no way of knowing when a pitcher received anything.

I'm, also, with Amy on the pause if this is an assn which requires both feet on the PP. Maybe that isn't the case here.

It is always hard when you cant see things for yourself but I am not getting how you step to the plate and begin your motion pause but never stop your forward motion. The rule is simple there has to be some sort of pause (actually two) you can't step on the PP and just begin your motion. You must 1) simulate taking a sign with your hand separated (don't know how you would simulate without pausing) then 2) bring your hands together and pause for at least one second.

As with others the signal thing is really hard to enforce or not even worth bothering about really, the concern is the timing of the pitcher, the pause or lack there of and how that relates to how pitchers and batters can work to control the rhythm of the game.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
It is always hard when you cant see things for yourself but I am not getting how you step to the plate and begin your motion pause but never stop your forward motion. The rule is simple there has to be some sort of pause (actually two) you can't step on the PP and just begin your motion. You must 1) simulate taking a sign with your hand separated (don't know how you would simulate without pausing) then 2) bring your hands together and pause for at least one second.

As with others the signal thing is really hard to enforce or not even worth bothering about really, the concern is the timing of the pitcher, the pause or lack there of and how that relates to how pitchers and batters can work to control the rhythm of the game.

Thanks David.

The pitcher took the signal 1 to two feet behind the pitchers plate with her hands separated.
Stepped up to the pitchers plate with only a slight hesitation and began her motion. She brought her hands together as a part of the motion.
Sometimes the hesitation would be slight enough that she never came to a complete stop when she strode to the pitcher's plate.

I had used pause earlier, but hesitate is a better description.

It had some affect on our hitters. They felt their timing was off and that it was more difficult to deal with than a traditional pitching cadence.

I agree that the umpire has a hard time seeing it if only because the action is coming straight at him/her and doesn't have the perspective of the onlookers with a side view.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff