Tag plays

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2011
Best way for defensive player to be positioned for a tag play on steal attempt or play at the plate: straddle the base for the throw or be in front of base to receive throw & make a sweep tag? Thanks.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
My thoughts are that the thrown ball moves faster than a sweeping tag so I would prefer to see a ball caught at the tag area if possible instead of reaching out to catch the ball and then sweeping back. Straddle.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
It all depends on where the throw takes you. If you commit to straddling too soon and there is an offline throw, its hard to move to the ball. If you wait to see where the throw is going to be (and when its going to be there), then you can adjust your feet for either a sweep, a block, or a straddle

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
It all depends on where the throw takes you. If you commit to straddling too soon and there is an offline throw, its hard to move to the ball. If you wait to see where the throw is going to be (and when its going to be there), then you can adjust your feet for either a sweep, a block, or a straddle

This is how we do it also. However I have them start behind the plate and let the throw dictate how the catcher positions to recieve it by moving forward toward the ball and catch it at the best tag point. In other words, a good throw is caught at the tag point and a sweep is not nessessary. A throw off line is caught at the point as close as possible to the tag point so the glove has to move as little as possible.

If you stand in front of the plate, it takes too long to catch the ball then spin around to tag the runner behind you.

On a steal the fielder usually has little choice on positioning. Catch the ball as close as possible to best tag point, and get the glove to the runner. Once again, don't try to catch the ball in front of the base (towards the pitchers circle), let the ball come to the tag point.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010
On my daughter's team, I've noticed that when the girls wait in front of the bag, they never get the out. There just isn't enough time to turn and bring the ball around to tag the runner. When they wait deeper and let the ball get as close to the tag point as possible, they do occasionally get that out, although sometimes the ball is missed entirely or knocked out by the runner. Hey, it's 10U after all! :D

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2009
You can stand to the front of the bag or behind the bag but you can't be in position that blocks the plate in softball. At home I would prefer the catcher to stand behind the plate on the corner closest to third base. This allows the runner a path to the plate but since most runners make wide turns at the third it makes sense to make them move back to the front half of the plate and the tag is then in front of the fielder. Most catchers field from the front but why?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32