Straddle the bag vs. Front of the bag

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
IMO, it depends on where you are and where the ball is coming from. For example...at SS receiving a throw from C, left foot anchored on inside corner of 2B. At 3B receiving a throw from outside the 2B/3B baseline...straddled. At 3B receiving a throw inside the baseline, left foot on inside corner. Do your best to keep the runner from getting in the way of you catching the throw.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2014
Seguin, TX
My 2022 dd is a SS that straddles. Definitely gets cleated more often but the tags look better and a quick swipe tag is almost always is called an out. My 2026 dd is catcher. Our SS's goes to the front of the bag and often don't let the ball travel and/or catch it too far in front of bag. Many missed outs due to bad positioning and catching the ball too far out in front.

Oct 26, 2019
My 2022 dd is a SS that straddles. Definitely gets cleated more often but the tags look better and a quick swipe tag is almost always is called an out. My 2026 dd is catcher. Our SS's goes to the front of the bag and often don't let the ball travel and/or catch it too far in front of bag. Many missed outs due to bad positioning and catching the ball too far out in front.
This has been my experience with my 12 U team I am coaching now.

Apr 20, 2015
Dd straddles in high school because that’s what her hs coach wants in front in travel because that’s what they want. We don’t see a difference in the percentage caught stealing either way. A good throw gets them every time a bad one doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I teach the SS to go to the front of the bag initially, then if the throw is good they move into a straddle position as the throw is in the air from the catcher. There is usually plenty of time for this footwork from the SS position.

When the 2nd baseman covers the steal at second base, i teach the straddle. Not enough time in many cases for the 2nd baseman covering second base on a steal.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Just my opinion. The front as you are clear of the bag for movement and also clear of the runner coming in hot. You also know exactly where your foot is and can slap to that area in front of base, as the runner comes in... or won't catch the bag coming off with a bad throw.

May 1, 2018
Straddle at third, front at second....if balls are coming from the catcher....why ... I have no clue lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802