Straddle the bag vs. Front of the bag

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
No on the straddle.
Straddle often appears the runner has already reached the bag.
Limits defensive maneuverability receiving/getting to the throw.
Makes throw have to travel into base path area and can cause the runner to interfere with the throw and have the ball careened off another direction.
Straddle bag also makes the defense have to make an extra step to get into position. Takes longer to get somewhere the defense needs to be as fast as possible.
Remember pick off throws comes from the catcher not the pitcher,
Defense has to wait for the batter and go.

💥Prefer front, facing throw,
* because better to be ready to
Play the throw pending ball location,
Range and adjustability are very important.
& tag to the side.

Catch throw, sweep and tag.
Either hold and stick tag.
Or swipe.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
No on the straddle.
Straddle often appears the runner has already reached the bag.
Limits defensive maneuverability getting to the throw and can cause the runner to interfere with the throw and have the ball careened off another direction.

💥Prefer front, facing throw,
* because better to be ready to
Play the throw, ball location,
& tag to the side.

Catch throw, sweep and tag.
Either hold and stick tag.
Or swipe.
What moves faster your glove after catching the ball or the ball before you catch it?

That said if your fielder isn’t able to go get bad throws having them in front of the bag is probably worth the time lost.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
That said if your fielder isn’t able to go get bad throw
having them in front of the bag is probably worth the time lost.
??? Probably worth the time lost???

If it were a bad throw they would be going to the ball.
Don't Go to the bag and just stand there if it's a bad throw go to the ball.

Jun 8, 2016
Just answer the question. It isn't difficult. Then (if you answer correctly) think about what that means with regards to the advantage of catching and applying a tag straight down when straddling the bag vs back and down (unless you catch the ball behind you..) when in front of the bag..

Like I said I am not sold on one or the other tbh. The biggest issue I see (on steal attempts) is young SS (including DD sometimes) not getting to the bag in time, regardless of how they set up.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Just answer the question. It isn't difficult. Then (if you answer correctly) think about what that means with regards to the advantage of catching and applying a tag straight down when straddling the bag vs back and down (unless you catch the ball behind you..) when in front of the bag..

Like I said I am not sold on one or the other tbh. The biggest issue I see (on steal attempts) is young SS (including DD sometimes) not getting to the bag in time, regardless of how they set up.
I tell DD 1 step in and 1 step over and she does not need to vacate her SS position early and can usually get to bag in time. Sometimes its a running catch and tag. More playing the ball not the bag. She is aware of where the bag is but first priority is the ball. It requires good peripheral vision and awareness. And always sell the tag to the ump. (confidently lift glove and show ball). It works.

If runner is stealing 3rd, I like the straddle set up with this "Remind/practice that straddling doesn’t mean your feet are anchored. "

Jun 8, 2016
Imagine that! 😁 have a good day!
Lol. If you say something I agree with I will admit that. Likewise if you say something I don't agree with I will tell you. I am also willing to change my mind if the argument is compelling enough..🤷‍♂️

I am an as* but a reasonable one (most of the time..)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802