Straddle the bag vs. Front of the bag

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
Curious what everyone teaches on tag plays. Do you have your fielders go to the front of the bag or do you have them straddle the bag? The advantage to straddling it is that it’s easier to let the ball travel to the bag for a quicker tag. The disadvantage is that any throw that is up the line puts you directly into the path of the runner.

Would love to hear some thoughts/opinions.

Jun 8, 2016
I was always taught straddle but DD's coach has her get in front..my biggest issue with her is making sure she actually gets there in time (on steal attempts) :cautious:

Oct 26, 2019
I have always straddled, But my players we’re having a really hard time navigating the runner on bad throws So I have move them to the front of the bag. Now it seems like we can’t get the tag down in time. I feel like we just traded one issue for another.

Jun 8, 2016
I have always straddled, But my players we’re having a really hard time navigating the runner on bad throws So I have move them to the front of the bag. Now it seems like we can’t get the tag down in time. I feel like we just traded one issue for another.
At the risk of being called a misogynist, there could be some general athleticism differences which cause the bolded and hence make being in front more the norm in fastpitch..

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018
CT
Remind/practice that straddling doesn’t mean your feet are anchored. I would Take that left foot towards the ball, but “foward” or “crossing over” the base path.

Oct 26, 2019
Remind/practice that straddling doesn’t mean your feet are anchored. I would Take that left foot towards the ball, but “foward” or “crossing over” the base path.
I have sort of taken this approach with my own daughter, but in the opposite way. I have had her go to the front of the bag but if the throw is online to slide back to straddling. Same concept though. This is good advice thank you.

Jun 8, 2016
Wouldn’t somebody just do this naturally?? I don’t remember anybody having to teach me how to go get a bad throw 🤨 Other than not being a statue, there are too many variables involved to “teach” such things IMO

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Wouldn’t somebody just do this naturally?? I don’t remember anybody having to teach me how to go get a bad throw 🤨 Other than not being a statue, there are too many variables involved to “teach” such things IMO

You would think so, but I've seen so many statues that it seems like it might not be as natural as we would hope.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee