Straddle the bag vs. Front of the bag

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

RJK

Mar 23, 2022
I teach the front of the bag to make it easier to come off the bag on a bad throw. Each has their pro's and con's. Applying the tag is harder in front, but thats better than my SS getting taken out by a cleat. Those that teach straddle make some very interesting points but I think I'll stick with the front.

Oct 26, 2019
I teach the front of the bag to make it easier to come off the bag on a bad throw. Each has their pro's and con's. Applying the tag is harder in front, but thats better than my SS getting taken out by a cleat. Those that teach straddle make some very interesting points but I think I'll stick with the front.
I always straddled playing middle in field and third base. I never thought to go in front of the bag. The softball team I am coaching now I was having a really hard time straddling the bag so I had to work with the players I have and found it easier and better for them to go to the front.

Jul 31, 2019
Just my opinion. The front as you are clear of the bag for movement and also clear of the runner coming in hot. You also know exactly where your foot is and can slap to that area in front of base, as the runner comes in... or won't catch the bag coming off with a bad throw.
I agree, and I believe if done correctly, you can get lower quicker. You can also let the ball travel as deep as a straddle if done correctly. The front position also tends to push the runner out to a hook slide, which you can easily swipe off. I see more and more programs moving to this tag set-up.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022
We just let them do whatever they're comfortable with at 2B. At 3B it's generally recommended to straddle, although for some reason no one can seem to grasp the concept of not having a foot on the bag as if it's a force.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
We just let them do whatever they're comfortable with at 2B. At 3B it's generally recommended to straddle, although for some reason no one can seem to grasp the concept of not having a foot on the bag as if it's a force.
The first drill I do with the kids is to lay down like a head-first slide with fingers not to base yet. Then I have one of them tag me on the foot and the question comes up as to safe or out.

Once out is established and they are not standing on the base, receiving the ball in front not straddle
  • we soft toss them, working on receiving the ball deep and laying the tag down on the sacrificial body laying on the ground.
  • then we will soft toss for errant throws up the line so they learn not to cross into the base line. Once again they enjoy beating up the coach laying there. Little monsters they become :devilish: ;)

Jan 25, 2022
The first drill I do with the kids is to lay down like a head-first slide with fingers not to base yet. Then I have one of them tag me on the foot and the question comes up as to safe or out.

Once out is established and they are not standing on the base, receiving the ball in front not straddle
  • we soft toss them, working on receiving the ball deep and laying the tag down on the sacrificial body laying on the ground.
  • then we will soft toss for errant throws up the line so they learn not to cross into the base line. Once again they enjoy beating up the coach laying there. Little monsters they become :devilish: ;)

I like that. We do a lot of throwing there without a runner and I know they all know when something is a force vs tag, but they just go brain dead when the pressure is on, even if it's intrasquad. Funny thing is, most of these kids have never played 1B. Their brain should be thinking tag before force. There are always more tag plays there. I just wish we had time for a million reps for everyone for everything.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I like that. We do a lot of throwing there without a runner and I know they all know when something is a force vs tag, but they just go brain dead when the pressure is on, even if it's intrasquad. Funny thing is, most of these kids have never played 1B. Their brain should be thinking tag before force. There are always more tag plays there. I just wish we had time for a million reps for everyone for everything.
Also work on one-handed tags laying the back of the glove down during the drill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802